View Single Post
Old 09-29-10, 10:17 PM   #4
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Now I think its automatically set because sometimes I notice the depth setting for the torpedo is about that, when I lock on..
First time you lock on, yeah it does that. I never did like that. Im not sure if its setting the depth to be exactly the keel depth, a couple feet below, or above it. I never liked this feature, because i usually, out of force of habit, set the torpedos to run as shallow as possible.

why?

read on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_14_torpedo#Problems

A little quote:
Quote:
"America entered the war with torpedoes far inferior to those of the enemy, and the fault lay squarely with the United States Bureau of Ordnance. It was ineffectual in research and development, inept in testing. It was inadequate in manufacturing, and feeble in its supervision of Newport. It was wanting in collegiality with the rest of the Navy, and it failed to trust those fighting under the Pacific surface."
A little history....
The mark 14 torpedo was tested twice before the war.

The first torpedo fired, ran under the target and didn't explode. The second one did explode. Since the 2nd torpedo worked, they stopped test firing because it was deemed expensive. So....... the US submarine force, went to war with, what in essence was a torpedo with a 50% failure rate. Had the tested it further, i'm sure that failure rate would have been much higher.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote