View Single Post
Old 09-13-10, 10:42 PM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
........any way to rotate the plotter tool as it seems to be off one's course by a degree plus at 3000 yards. Enjoy all of your work.
Sure, if I thought it was off. I've not seen where it is. For instance, if you look at the images I posted, the Kongo is exactly where it should be when spotting it in the periscope view and finding it on the navigation map. Notice the scope is zero degrees, just right of the center of the ship. The nav map plotter is exactly at that same point. 1 degree to the left is the center line of the ship. Since I was using the stock compass on the periscope it isn't easy to see just exactly what degree the scope is positioned but the image is close enough to know it's on the mark. I usually use the "Big Bearing" compass for my periscope testing, I just didn't have it activated when I took those pictures.

I've checked each and every edition, and in my opinion, the 3000 yard or meter versions are accurate. If I'm wrong I'll need to correct my mistake. So I've got to ask you, what edition are you using? With what unit of measurement? At what resolution is the game running in?

Just a couple of notes, make sure you know what resolution your game is running in, not what resolution your Windows desktop setup uses. They can easily be different. Use the correct Bearing Plotter edition for what the game resolution is set AND the correct unit of measurement you're using in-game.

Second, when you're using the ruler tool to measure distances, the units are broken down into increments of 50 (50 yards/50 meters). The point where the unit of measurement changes to the next division, marks that particular distance. For example, the ruler shows 750 meters, as you drag it further from the start point it will change to 800. This specific point of change is the 800 meter distance. The ruler will continue to read 800 meters until you reach the next 50 unit mark at 850.

Further, a ship is positioned at the center of its distance or range, not at the leading edge of it. Using the Kongo again, its positioned exactly centered on the 1325 yard distance, even though the ships side (closest to the sub) is very near the 1300 yard line. The game figures measurements not on side distances or range to the edge of the target but on the center position of the object.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 09-13-10 at 11:04 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote