View Single Post
Old 09-27-05, 09:51 PM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

Your sonar crew (whether on auto-crew or not) will call out TIW (torpedo in the water bearing XXX). Generally, that's how you know.

However, it is possible to spot launch transients on broadband water fall displays. This is useful for subrocs, since you only get the TIW when the fish enters the water.

In terms of evasions, some basic tips (SP):

(1) If the shooter had a good solution on you, then I usually find it worthwhile to reverse course. (a proper solution will be leading the target for its assumed motion) As far as I know, I don't think the AI wire guides its fish after launch.

(2) You want to get out of the seeker cone before it reaches detection range. So, put it on your 3 O'Clock or 9 O'Clock. Go as fast as prudent. (meaning you maintain SA and don't sound like a freight train)

(3) Consider launching CMs (at a depth different then your own) prior to your evasive turn. Hopefully, as the fish approaches it will lock on to them further buying you time to evade.

One final thing: Counter-fire a snap shot or a spread on the bearing of the TIW. This gives the shooter something to think about. When the shooter is busy evading, then he won't be able to work out a solution for you while you are evading.

Of course there is much more, but that is a start. In SC, the AI evades by foolishly attempting to run straight from the fish. In SCX, the AI evades by trying to get out of the cone and tends to turn back into you after it has gone laterally for a while.

---

You should find and download two documents:

(1) The Blue Book v20.

(2) TimmyG00s guide.

This will help immensely. Also, get a copy of Nottefallmappe (newbie guide for DW) which various portions will prove useful.