View Single Post
Old 07-28-10, 06:26 PM   #68
Travis Reed
Planesman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
SH4 doesn't have a problem with single propeller subs because ETR3(SS)'s 688i has a single prop. From what I am seeing the two propeller slots may have something to do with the Walther turbine only working underwater. One prop for diesels and the other for the turbine. I've enabled the turbine above water and I get a speed boost but it eventually slows back down to the top speed I have set. Of course I could be wrong. The Walther turbine is not set as the primary means of propulsion, it's supposed to be the caterpillar drive. You engage it and the rpm goes below 50 like ETR3 said. It will have a far greater range than the Diesel and battery so you don't have to worry about refueling for a long while.
I would usually use the submerged propulsion as the primary as that's what the sub seems to be designed for (primarily submerged, surfacing for air every now and again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwolf View Post
I edited the draft to be just above 32 feet. If I make it exactly 32 feet the air vents for submerging go off every so often because the waves cause the sub to go to deep in the water. I hopefully found why the crew was being harmed so easily, in the main upc file there's a crew exposure value that was at 0.7. I changed it to what all the interior spaces have it as, 0.1.
I've been experimenting with the draft myself. And while 35 feet is most aesthetically pleasing (makes it look more like modern subs, with their low freeboard), I noted that in rough seas the deck guns get washed out easily. This makes it easy to miss...and is a royal pain when manning the aft gun yourself. I'm going to experiment with 30 or 32 foot drafts to see which gives the best aesthetics while maintaining useability. I found that most of the deck crew (aside from the watch) had a value of 9, not 0.7.

I did manage to get it added to the campaign files for TMO 1.9, however, as with the Shark I had to modify the ammunition file to grant the new torps from start of war and free (imagine the renown hit of having to restock 50 of those things at 500 a pop...). I also noted that when I upgraded to the Improved SD radar (at the very beginning of the war) there was nothing fitted in that slot on patrol. The radar was listed and such, but looking inside the conning tower, I did not see the radar mast or head where it was supposed to be. I also noted the Improved version seems to be from the Kraken's upgrade pack. I was not particularly interested in the Kraken, so I don't have it at present (but will be getting it solely to make the radar work properly).

Also, I note that on the surface, when the deck guns are facing forward (their respective forward...) the barrels don't quite come up above the lip of the cowling in 'front' of them. This means that when they fire forward, the shells should be damaging this cowling and not reaching the target (and yet, they do reach their target without causing damage on the way out). I'd try raising the guns another few inches when they deploy, so this minor issue doesn't crop up.

I'm also noting, that the batteries don't seem to want to recharge. I do realize that they are set to last a long time, however, after having them drop to 98/100 or less and sitting for weeks recharging (sometimes at Stop, sometimes at 1/3, sometimes at 2/3) they don't seem to recharge at all. I'm looking at a potential situation where the batteries finally run out and can't effectively be recharged. This could pose a major problem, depending upon when and where this occurs. I also had this problem with the Shark. I suspect that SH4 bases the recharge times off of the range @ speed values from the batteries themselves, rather than using a hardcoded value.