View Single Post
Old 07-28-10, 04:02 PM   #67
Silverwolf
Officer

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reed View Post
I'm curious as to why you left 2 screws configured, when only one is modeled. Perhaps because SH4 doesn't like single screwed subs?

As for using the Walther Engine for noise reduction...are we certain that works? I would think that since they pretty much allow the main diesels to run while submerged it would be extremely noisy... Perhaps SH4 doesn't implement it...

EDIT: While running the beta through testing, I did notice that the gun crew is injured way too easily. I would imagine that the deck gun crew and the gunners for the AA triple guns would be inside and not on the deck...thus not exposed to incoming fire. The deck watch and those manning the .50 cal AA would be exposed (but I doubt you could easily separate the two AA gun crews, given the lack of space on the crew management screen).

Also, I noticed that the draft could use adjustment. Most of the modern shaped subs don't have the waterline halfway up the sides, usually more than halfway (I should not be able to see the tip of the bow at the waterline). Perhaps change the draft to 30-32 feet. Would also help put the screw all the way into the water and hide the shroud..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Reed View Post
Something else to consider is that the Hydrogen Peroxide engine is more difficult to refuel. You have to actually end your patrol back at your assigned base to get more fuel for it (in my experience, anyway). This means that you can't just stop at any friendly base to get it topped off (as with diesel fuel). In my opinion, it should not be used as a primary propulsion system. This is, however, Silverwolf's boat...so he may do as he pleases.
SH4 doesn't have a problem with single propeller subs because ETR3(SS)'s 688i has a single prop. From what I am seeing the two propeller slots may have something to do with the Walther turbine only working underwater. One prop for diesels and the other for the turbine. I've enabled the turbine above water and I get a speed boost but it eventually slows back down to the top speed I have set. Of course I could be wrong. The Walther turbine is not set as the primary means of propulsion, it's supposed to be the caterpillar drive. You engage it and the rpm goes below 50 like ETR3 said. It will have a far greater range than the Diesel and battery so you don't have to worry about refueling for a long while.

I edited the draft to be just above 32 feet. If I make it exactly 32 feet the air vents for submerging go off every so often because the waves cause the sub to go to deep in the water. I hopefully found why the crew was being harmed so easily, in the main upc file there's a crew exposure value that was at 0.7. I changed it to what all the interior spaces have it as, 0.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyHunter View Post
Dude, you love to make interesting subs, dont you? Hope you finish it soon!
I do, I always enjoy bringing something different to the table. I will be releasing a second beta once I have the main control room all setup in game.

GameFront page: http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/Silverwolf996
Silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote