View Single Post
Old 07-20-10, 03:54 AM   #121
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

First off, i have to give props to Flakmonkey. Who gave me permission to use his interior from SH3.

Secondly, remember when i said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Well gents, Sh5 done pissed me off!
What got me started on this kick was looking at FM interiors for SH3, and how well the 9D2's model was done in SH4. This was after playing SH5 for a little bit and being somewhat annoyed for various reasons.

It was then my thought that with a more robust 3d rendered interior, combined with a better exterior model, SH4 could be made to look just as good if not better then SH5.

Right now i have an entire watch section being rendered in 3d, after merging sections of Flak monkeys interior into the type 9 interior somewhat seamlessly. Plus extra battle station positions and damage control team. Now on that note, my point isn't to one up anyone, nor "compete" with lurker or anyone else. I'm only working on ONE boat, if you want the full Uboat game for SH4, use Operation Monsun. No, my intent was, for various reasons, to give SH5 the "one fingered salute" , and to show what SH4 is capable of. To that end, I think I've achieved that goal.

Radio room, looking forward.

Officers nook, accross the way is (im guessing) the 1WO bunk. To the right is the sonarman.

Forward, looking aft towards the control room hatch. Note that it is a hatch, and not open. I did this for two reasons. For one, by not making it open hatch, i believe it saves framerate and resources by not having one big open interior. And for two, it preserved the F9 hotkey to the radio room. In open hatch, the F9 Key didn't work.

I fixed it so that during battle stations, an officer is watching the sonar man. Presumably because in real life, i imagine an officer would be interested in what the sonar man would have to say, and to pass it along if neccessary.

Control room looking aft. You'll note the "xmas tree" in the back there. A line in U-571 stuck out to me.... "white for green". Anywho, the boat is submerged. The red and green lights to the left of it, there isn't anything *I* can do to those that would look good. So i left it alone.

Control room after calling battle stations.

Control room after calling battle stations, and damage control team. There's 3 of them being rendered in the control room, and one aft in the galley.

Control room looking forward. Same as above pic. Battle stations and damage control team active.

Aft quarters looking aft from the control room. I fixed it so that the crew birthing is part of the normal watch rotation, and is not an extra on the bottom of the crew management screen next to the damage control team. Ill post a picture of that later. (forgot to take it). The point here is, the crew will change appearance based on what watch is currently bunked there.

Crew birthing looking aft. The door you see shut is in the galley, but leads to the engine room.

I did NOT include the engine room for 3 reasons:
1.) I couldn't get the animation or sounds working correctly. I need help with that. With dead quiet and lifeless engine room, i figured it was better to not render it at all.
2.) The engine room was a major framerate killer.
3.) Engine room was incorrect for a type IXD2 which had 2 engines and 2 auxilaries. This one only had 2 engines. Minor detail, certainly one id normally overlook, but im using this as an excuse along with points 1 and 2.

I could easily add it back, but i have no intention to do so unless framerate can be improved.

In the galley looking forward. "Smutje" to the left.

Damage control team member wrenching on galley hatch.

Hmm what's this?

Sorry, i couldnt resist putting a crewman sitting on the toilet. While i haven't added it yet, i will at some point put some farting noises as an ambient audio at that location.

Overall its turned out rather well. The biggest handicap is crew animation. Im reusing what animations i can, but they don't all mesh well, and there is some clipping issues. As is, it's passible, but it could be ALOT better. I imagine someone who knows animation could make this kind of thing VERY life like.

Sh4, imo has alot to offer. More then what most Uboat fans on subsim will give it credit for. No DRM required here, every bit of a sim, fully rendered interiors possible with the right modeling, with more crewman being rendered then Sh5 has. So yeah.... Sh5, in the words of Bart Simpson... " eat my shorts."

edit:
And no, i haven't noticed any framerate loss with all these crewman being rendered.

Last edited by Ducimus; 07-20-10 at 04:29 AM.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote