View Single Post
Old 07-04-10, 12:15 PM   #56
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
I am afraid "better sources" about latest nuclear subs are top secret. That is why we have to stick on indirect data and make some realistic estimates basing on many factors. Taking all that into account I think Russian shipbuilding industry is now finished once and for all. Read Russian military press if you speak Russian. Often very interesting data can be found there. No Russian Seawolfs, buddy.

Anyway the basic trend is clear: Russkies go down while Chinese go up. In the near future Russia will become weapon importer, not exporter - exactly opposite as China. Can you believe that? Twenty years ago this county was able to produce almost all kinds of known weapons itself...
if your indirect sources are nothing more than heresay then the better solution is to stick to published public sources. Wether they are american or russian. Otherwise any dude can come up and say, "the cousin of the cousin of my cousin told me that the virginia could go to 42 knots. I swear it". Ok 42 knots max speed it is.
Sticking to published sources is the right thing to do, because except for officers/sailors that work onboard subs (and know its secret characteristics, and performance) for the rest of us, thats 99% the rest of us such data is simply not available.
What are your realistic estimates ? You realise that your realistic estimates are as good or bad as any other realistic estimate ?
And that the only correct values are known only to a few people ?
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote