View Single Post
Old 07-04-10, 03:48 AM   #53
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

I think your pics look well but they are a bit far from reality as for latest Russkie nuclear subs.

After I spent a lot of time researching area of Russia's weapons development programs since 1991 I am sure my estimates are more precise than those present in LWAMI because they only show faulty constant linear estimation of noise reduction level along with time which was not the case. Moreover above values refers only to theoretical Russian subs noise levels - in real terms they are now louder due to bad maintenance and prolonged build-up periods. I think both lead ships of Borey and Graney classes are more noisy than they should. Conventional subs are another story but Russia lost technological race here too. Lada's AIP propulsion turned out to be a complete disaster and moreover all AIP technology based on electric sources is false path as Germans discovered lately. Now only Stirling engine technology is sole proper AIP solution - "Long live to Sweden!"

We shall see how this situation evolves but it is rather certain those days Russia will be able to keep race in the nuclear subs stealth with Chinese only because US Navy is outside their reach. Well, during last 20 years China spent a lot of time and effort copying latest Soviet submarine technology with help of hundreds "imported" Russian naval scientists and now PRC possesses at least Delta IV and latest Victor III technology with rather bright future in sight [095, 096, 097(?) sub types] - Chinese Navy is raising as hell while Russian Navy is declining rapidly.

Anyway test detection radii of Seawolf/Virginia (PSL=55) against Graney/Borey (PSL=57/58) and vice versa.

Last edited by Gorshkov; 07-04-10 at 04:26 AM.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote