View Single Post
Old 09-17-05, 12:08 AM   #296
Neutrino 123
A-ganger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well, a Kilo Improved would have the same amount of noise at 7 knots and an Akula-i at four. Realistically, a stationary Kilo probably shouldn't be detected at that range, but due to limitations in the program, it generates the same amount of noise as a bit less then slow running.

I think used a bad example at first. The question is, should an Akula-i at four knots or a Kilo-i at seven be detectable at ultra-close range with TB-23? I would think so. I would also hazard a guess that with the current values, a stationary Seawolf and maybe a Kilo-i cannot be detected at any range with any passive sensor, making HF active more useful against it...

Exactly where is the noise to DW noise level conversion? Maybe it was posted before, but I must have missed it (sorry if this is so).

Edit: I did another test, and couldn't detect a Kilo-i moving seven knots at ~370 yards with the TB-23. Acousitc conditions were the same as above (subs at 150 feet, bottom limited, total depth a bit less then 300 feet).