View Single Post
Old 06-08-10, 12:44 AM   #202
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
what's broke with the active sonar? Where's the button to push to make it 'work'?
NOTE: As DDRGN pointed out, German Submarine may not have had Active Sonar ability. The Sonar UI doesn't even have the gear used to measure the Ping to Echo delay other then using the stop watch. It isn't present anywhere in the Sonar Room. There is a box on the wall at the 1st Officers Desk that looks simular to the equipement needed to measure the time delay.

I haven't ever been able to get the "Precise Range to Target" to work, ever.
Expectation: While using the Sonar Station, I manually aim the Sonar at a contact, click the "Precise Range to Target" button and the Sonar sends a Ping listening for the Return Echo to determine fairly Precise Target Range.
Actual: While using the Sonar Station, I aim the Sonar at a contact, click the "Precise Range to Target" button and I receive message "No Target Selected".
It seem I must have visual contact and tracking lock to even get Estimate Range to Target to work. The Sonar Estimate Range to Target should not require any visual or tracking lock. It should key on what I am manually tracking using the Passive Sonar.
Also, there is no Sonarman command to Estimate Target Speed. The Sonar station should be able to estimate target speed by counting srew RPM but I guess you can just go by the Sonar Contact Report if you know the term definitions in the Contacts.cfg i.e. Stopped, Slow, Medium, Fast, Very Fast.
Quote:
Merchant=0.1,8,12,35 ;[kts]
Warship=0.1,8,19,35 ;[kts] including uboats
Air=0.1,8,19,35 ;[kts]
Convoy=0.1,8,12,35 ;[kts]
Also, the tolerance for manual tracking a target is Zero(0) degree +/-. The Tolerance should be something like +/- 2-3 degree. Currently, if I am not dead on, I am unable to manually identify any sound contacts type (Merchant or Warship). The time is take to click the button to identify the target the target is now not lined up correctly.

On a good note. I was able to restore the Balkon Gerat surface functionality leaving the other Hydrophone models disable on the surface.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 06-08-10 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Added Note about active sonar
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote