View Single Post
Old 06-06-10, 01:14 PM   #153
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Hi Scratch,

If it destroyed your whole engine room, the charge must have been very close. I don't seem to recall the loudness of DCs being particularly indicative of how close they were, I could be wrong though. I look forward to your further comments with the help of the external camera .

Hi Adlerson,

Yes, this is the first draft - second draft soon (TM). The thermal layer was far too effective before and was an invisibility cloak, perhaps it was a bit over zealous to completely remove the effects. but the thermal layer system is not well modelled. In the Atlantic, layers would form on hot sunny days over the course of the day, so that by late afternoon, conditions for ASDIC were very poor, but this is not modelled. It's on all the time, or off all the time. You can get night time or day time from the scripts, but I don't think you can get local time of day. I'll re-visit it later, as I'm thinking of a few things regarding this, flares and a few other things to do with ASDIC interference.

If you want to re-enable the thermal layer, it's a setting in a /data/cfg/sim.cfg. Here is the original line:

Quote:
Thermal Layer Signal Attenuation=5.0 ;[>0], 1 means no signal reduction, 5 equals signal reduction to 20%
You can adjust this yourself, if you want to change the effectiveness of the thermal layer - the line shown is from stock, so stock reduction, once you get under the thermal layer, the enemy hydrophones are 20% as good as they were with you above the thermal layer, so they pretty much have to be on directly above you to find you.