View Single Post
Old 03-17-10, 05:47 AM   #2
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
1. IL-2: 1946 is on Direct2Drive for like 10 bucks right now. Wikipedia tells me this is a compilation, with basically everything every made in the franchise included. Is that correct?
Yep.

Quote:
2a. Are there careers within the game, where you can just pop in a pilot name, choose a squadron, and fly through the war 'til you're dead?
Yep.
Quote:
2b. If so, how detailed are they? I recall even in AoE you sometimes got transferred, got upgraded to a different aircraft, etc.
Unfortunately Il2 focuses more on on-line dogfights against human opponents. Therefore the dynamical generated campaigns aren't that good. Though the main weak spot is the AI which tends to be pretty stupid at times.

Quote:
3. Graphics. I'm not a huge graphics whore, but I do like stuff to look nice. Some of the IL-2 videos I've seen look pretty decent, given that it's half a decade old, and some look like utter crap. How good/bad are they?
The game is actually almost one decade old. But the graphics are still decent. Not awesome but still good enough. (new mods polished them even more like providing new ground textures and re skinned cockpits).

Quote:
4. Realism. I have no idea what fuel mixture and what propeller pitch to use in any given situation. I could probably figure it out, but if I can't be bothered, does all that sort of stuff have the option to be turned off?
Yep.

Quote:
5. Joystick. I've read the game can be moody when it comes to certain joysticks. I don't have one at the moment, and if I got it, I'd probably just roll out to Wal-mart and pick up something for fifteen bucks. Would that work, or do I need something in particular?
You'll need one with rudder control to really enjoy the game.

Quote:
6. Would a guy who loved the crap out of AoE in its day enjoy IL-2?
Sorry, no idea. I've never played AoE.

Quote:
Thanks again in advance for your help.
You're welcome.