View Single Post
Old 03-17-10, 05:30 AM   #1
Cavell
Sailor man

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default IL-2 Questions From A Noob

So after years upon years away from the flight sim scene - I think the last one I played was Aces Over Europe, when I was like 12 - for some odd reason I'm really in the mood to play one, and I've heard IL-2 is one of the best. However, I do have some questions, and I'd appreciate any and all help in answering them.

1. IL-2: 1946 is on Direct2Drive for like 10 bucks right now. Wikipedia tells me this is a compilation, with basically everything every made in the franchise included. Is that correct?

2a. Are there careers within the game, where you can just pop in a pilot name, choose a squadron, and fly through the war 'til you're dead?

2b. If so, how detailed are they? I recall even in AoE you sometimes got transferred, got upgraded to a different aircraft, etc.

3. Graphics. I'm not a huge graphics whore, but I do like stuff to look nice. Some of the IL-2 videos I've seen look pretty decent, given that it's half a decade old, and some look like utter crap. How good/bad are they?

4. Realism. I have no idea what fuel mixture and what propeller pitch to use in any given situation. I could probably figure it out, but if I can't be bothered, does all that sort of stuff have the option to be turned off?

5. Joystick. I've read the game can be moody when it comes to certain joysticks. I don't have one at the moment, and if I got it, I'd probably just roll out to Wal-mart and pick up something for fifteen bucks. Would that work, or do I need something in particular?

6. Would a guy who loved the crap out of AoE in its day enjoy IL-2?

Thanks again in advance for your help.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote