View Single Post
Old 03-02-10, 07:00 PM   #131
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

CCIP, the question is "What are high expectations?" Clearly, they are defined by the customer: "to buy or not to buy". So, expectations are individual and determined probably by a huge variety of factors including what other hobbies (games, movies, music, outdoor activities, friends, partying, opera, sports, books etc etc.), family or work are competing with the idea of another game purchase. The new product needs to fulfill some sort of quality standard as to how it rates compared to other activities that also want their share of time.

Now, speaking for me, I played SH3+GWX, which it still remains an awesome combination. Due to work I have little free time to spent, and I have quite a few other hobbies, too. So any new leisure time investment (game, book, movie etc.) better be pretty awesome, and a clear "advancement" over any other such product I have previously owned. It ought to be a new "experience".

For a computer game sequel, that to me means to incorporate all previous features, and add new game ideas/features/mechanics that render it a "novel experience".

For a simulation like SHV, my least expectations would thus be all of SHIII's features, plus something ground-breaking new. This could be the dynamic campaign that affects the outcome of the war; the wolf pack battles; maybe a strategic level at which the player might influence the positioning of wolf packs; etc. etc. Though I like the idea of including a role playing element, I find it rather tangential to the simulation part, and would probably turn it off after a while if I could -- I just don't have infinite time to spent playing, so I would prefer to focus on core parts. Nice to have, but not sufficient for me.

Graphics are for a couple of years already no sufficient reason to buy a new game for me either. When graphics still were 640x480x16 color, clearly any improvement in that was already a major improvement. Nowadays, when I would rate SHIII graphics already 9/10, I find any improvement there does not add to the game mechanics -- though it is nice if, but only if, all other criteria for a "novel experience" are fulfilled! Else I can easily pass on further graphics upgrades for a good simulation.

So I guess, it is game mechanics and features that sells -- for me. Things I can do, influence, control and that have a clear and present effect on the outcome of the game/simulation, and that don't already wear off after looking at the 500th screenshot in the forums...
janh is offline   Reply With Quote