View Single Post
Old 02-20-10, 11:05 AM   #37
SparrowHawk
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Stewker View Post
Finally starting to get the A-A radar down. Everything just sort of "clicked" tonight. Being able to realize that a paticular radar mode would be good for this or that while in the heat of combat is a good feeling.

Definitly going to have to get a HOTAS setup or at least a joystick with alot of buttons though. I hate using the Keyboard for anything in the cockpit and having to use the mouse to click stuff in the 2d pit is to slow, at least in the A-A radar training mission it is. By the time you are able to lock on to a target (you can pause the sim, or "freeze" it and use the radar, but I want this to be realistic) using the mouse you are already dusted. Oh and that brings to mind, using the keyboard (or my gamepad's D-pad for that matter) to look around your pit is IMPOSSIBLE, it is impossible to dogfight this way as you can't keep track of where the bogies are while doing the other 1000 things. The Saitek comes with a hat switch that is hopefully going to be better, and I may splurge for a TrackIR, but I haven't decided yet.

I read a guy's post about this mission in another forum, and he had a good point in regards to the difficulty.
Paraphrased: The mission should have been against bombers or drones and not fighters coming at you hot and beginning the merge before you even have time to change views. It's your first mission against live targets. Why the heck should you be able to be shot down if it's a training mission, we'd kill off all our pilots before they got to the real show if that was RL. That mission doesn't even include the firing of weapons to return the favor!

But anyways not ranting against the game per say, just commenting.
Off to 20mm Cannon (Air-Air) training!

I'll post some screenies!
Hey Cpt. Stewker!

Yeah, the feeling is great...after being so elusive and frustrated by the various Radar Modes and Submodes. I am still batteling with them.

Last night I put the difficulty level up to Veteran, went into the Instant Action, pluged in my TM HotAS and let her rip!

Downed everything in sight, including mig 21 and a couple of 23's when flying on vapour. Finally had to ditch when the engine cut out with nothing to burn, and no missles left! Best sortie so far.

A great feeling...now possibly I may try the Campaigns with some confidence, but still have miles to go for Avionics and Radar.

This was done in SP4 by the way just for sentimental reasons. I'm gonna try dogfights in F4AF at Ace level tonight ...hehe
SparrowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote