View Single Post
Old 02-08-10, 07:51 PM   #5
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

The project is on hold until my programming skills progress somewhat.

I have decided that this will be a text-based game. This means no graphics or pictures whatsoever. The game will be run out of a terminal or "command prompt" in Windows parlance.

I am considering designing it after the age old "Star Trek" game. If you have not heard of this game, I suggest that you look it up. There is a version of this game available at this site. There is a version on that page that should run under Windows. This is a very old game, dating back to circa 1971. (Some peoples first go at this game was on computers that were very large, very slow, and had no monitors. The output of the game was printed on paper!)

This means that:

1) It will be "turn-based" (IE: Moving or firing weapons will constitute a turn. After every turn, the other ships in a given area will take their turn.)
2) There will be no persistent map view. Instead, issuing a certain command will print out a textual representation of the the battlefield for that turn.

If you really want an idea of what I plan for this game to be like, try playing SST (or any equivalent such as bsd-trek) for a little bit.

Given my constraints (No real programming experience, real-life commitments, etc) I think that either a) converting a trek game to suit my needs or b) rewriting a trek game with a submarine combat theme is the way to go. Either way, I will keep you all posted on any progress I make.

Let it be known, the completion of this project may take a while.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote