View Single Post
Old 12-03-09, 08:16 PM   #226
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
Please note that all my testing has been on merchant, however I just looked at the Bismarck and there is a "0" value set in the "draught" field in the .sim file. However the value in S3d from the 0 "y" value to the top of the "after mast" is 5.52 which works out to 55.2 meters.
by 0 ''y'' value you mean the keel of ship ?

Quote:
I personally know that a value in the "draught" field will effect were the ship 3d model sits in the water during game play.
i know that too and i tottaly agree with you

Quote:
Just to let you know the type of testing I did, I pick three merchants at random from the MFM add on in v720 and used the procedure I presented in my last post on each one. Then using the Mission editor created "map zones" of 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 meters and placed each of the modified ships on each of the circles and had the ships set to "docked" so that can't move. After launching the single mission set to "manual targeting" mode, ID each ships via the rec-manual and then using the "stock" Stadimeter generated "range" estimates. In all cases the range error was less that 0.05 percent.
it is better for your ingame tests to make missions with NOT stationary ships.the stadimeter has a limitation and that is its pixel by pixel movement.by that i mean that the calculate distance via stadimeter is not 'continuesly' (sorry for my english) ...by that i mean that the calculate distance is 'jumping' from one measurment(that will keep it for some time there) immediatelly to the next one (that will keep it for some time there)and so on...
so it is better to have a moving ship and take ranges periodically .
what i do is this :
put the ship (about 4km away) and set its curse at 270 and make itso that when it pass in front of our nose (we are stationary and our course is set at o degrees) to be at a distance about 1km
then i run the mission with auto targeting enabled and start write down the given distances from the sh4 (these are the real distances) at 60,55,50.....,5,0 bearing.
then run the mission again but with the manual targeting enabled and start taking ranges via stadimeter at 60,55,50......,5,0 bearing(these are the fake distances)
then use this formula for each bearing : realmast=(fake mast x real range)/fake range where fakemast=the mast value that the game is currently using
then you have the 'realmasts' for each bearing and you calculate the middle one of these

Quote:
Also I conducted test on the "length" values for these merchants. When using S3d to measure from the Bull Nose ( front of the ship ) to the fantail and using those values for ships length to calculate ships speed, the soluation was within .01% of true speed.
you are talking about the method that Darkfish suggested, right ?
yes, this method is absolutely correct...i checked it to some ships and works fine !

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote