View Single Post
Old 11-07-09, 02:08 PM   #13
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

Yes, the DOS version does seem slightly more coherent, as you say. I figure that the publishers pushed out the Command version in an attempt to wring out the last few dollars they could from the project by giving early Windows users the option to run the game on their new systems, or something to that effect. It's unfortunate that some of the game got lost in translation, so to speak. Besides, I have to say that the DOS version has a greater level of charm to it than it's successor. Although the graphics are even more dated than in the Command version the gameplay seems more stable. For example, the Command version produces a CTD when I click on the "Program FAT" button on the torpedo loadout screen. And at other times I would get a CTD for no apparent reason. So, I guess the DOS version just plain works better.

Thanks for the tips, I will refer to them once I get my copy and learn a little bit more about DOSBox. For the time being I am slightly lost as far as how to pass such parameters to BOSBox. I'll be referring to the documentation shortly.

Now, I only wonder what exact version of the DOS CD-ROM I will be receiving from amazon.com. From what I understand, there is an expansion pack. Where some versions of the game shipped out with the said pack already incorporated? At any rate I see that the updates are available on the subsim.com downloads page, so I will (hopefully) be able to apply them at that time if needed.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote