View Single Post
Old 10-06-09, 04:04 AM   #7
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Is this a very new feature you are talking of, or the workaround that is around since almost the release year? I just checked the ini-description in the EECH-wiki at EECH Central and although it is a long time I checked ini-files for EE in there I saw nothing that looked like the user being able to really define a complete reaction curve for the colective - only the regular variables for different axis that have been there since always.
It's true that you can't define the reaction curve perfectly, but you can do a bit of tinkering. Below are the ini parameters from the ini-file that you can change. You can toggle non-linear joystick reaction on and of. And with the collective zones 1 and 2 you can specify the range of the zones. You can also set throttle percentage for where zone 1 starts.

If I remember correctly it works like this for the collective... Set zone 1 to 0.20, that means that when the collective handle is at 20% of its physical full range it will give you 60% throttle when flying.
Now set zone 2 to say 0.95. At 95% and above of the range you will have 100% throttle.
The point of this is that you have now set up the physical range between 20-95% of the collective to control flying throttle between 60%-100%. That is you now have a much larger non-linear span to move your collective back and forth (0.20-095), and within this range you only adjust throttle power between 60%-100%. This might not look very good, but when you actually fly, this is the range of throttle % you use the most.

Finally, you can even set the throttle value for zone one. Default is 60%. But you can change this to say 40%. This means that the range specified above now controls throttle output between 40-100%.
Or you could set the value to 70 and set zone 1 to 0.05 and zone 2 to 0.98. This would be extreme, but it illustrates how you can adjust the collective behaviour to be very smooth for controlling throttle output between 70-100%, as almost the full physical range of the handle is used for this. The throttle output range is short, but the physical range to move through to adjust it is very long!

I hope my somewhat convoluted explanations are crystal clear!

With the zones modified as above you only need to be a bit careful when landing, as the first 20% of the collective range controls 0-60% throttle. But I can live with that and still have a much more reasonable collective behaviour when manoeuvring the helo in flight and in combat. The helos typically take at least 50-60 % throttle to stay in a hoover anyway, so you rarely use less. I would suggest anyone to at least give it a try.

Ini-file entries to look for

nonlinear-cyclic=1 # use non-linear control for cyclic (less sensitive around center) (0 = off, 1 = on) (def = 1)

nonlinear-pedals=1 # use non-linear control for pedals (less sensitive around center) (0 = off, 1 = on) (def = 1)

nonlinear-collective-zone1=0.49 # non-linear control value for throttle (n = % throttle position joystick to represents 60% collective) (10= 0.1) (0.0 = off (linear control), 1.0 = max) (def = 0.3)

nonlinear-collective-zone2=0.80 # non-linear control value for throttle (n = % throttle position joystick to represents 100% collective) (10= 0.1) (0.0 = off (linear control), 1.2 = max) (def = 0.7)

nonlinear-collective-percentage-at-zone1=60.0 # collective percentage at zone1. Valid values are in range from 1.0 to 99.0, default is 60.0.

cheers porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.

Last edited by porphy; 10-06-09 at 04:40 AM.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote