View Single Post
Old 09-28-09, 03:44 PM   #12
Henry Wood
Sparky

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0
Default "Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea" - not war but very thrilling

"Simple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea"
by Frank DeLaney

After reading this book, I remember as if it were yesterday the live story relayed every single day on our radio and in our daily newspaper, the story of the "Flying Enterprise", and her Master After God, Captain Kurt Carlsen, who tried so heroically to evade the savage hunger of the sea. Alongside him eventually stood Mr. Kenneth Dancy, Mate of the deep-sea salvage tug "Turmoil".

Listen to those names again: "Flying Enterprise", Carlsen, Dancy, "Turmoil"! They are names to write a book about!

No wonder we listened in each day, the whole family from grandparents down to youngest children, and found the real news much more exciting than "Dick Barton, Special Agent," or even "Journey Into Space"!

This book recreates it all in a most splendid fashion. I truly did relive those memories I thought were long gone, long lost, and yet, once revived I remembered this was one of the real live tales of my childhood which made me seek out a life at sea.

The author seems to tell it as it was at the time and not a lot of time is wasted at the end on the "conspiracies" which seem to abound over every single story these days, and I'm glad for that. We don't need conspiracies to create "excitement" or "thrills", not when there are photos of Captain Carlsen and Mate Dancy hanging on to the dying "Flying Enterprise" for grim life.

From what I have now read after discovering this book, this does seem the definitive account of the "Flying Enterprise"'s last voyage. A great read.
Henry Wood is offline   Reply With Quote