View Single Post
Old 09-16-09, 02:04 AM   #286
trojanfoe
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawimmer430 View Post
Do you know where I could download this new version of Star Force? The one on my computer right now doesn't seem to do jack...
http://www.star-force.com/support/users/

Quote:
I actually downloaded the no CD patch (I do own a legal copy of the game) yesterday and the game still wouldn't work. I keep getting the usual "this game requires Windows 95/98/ME etc..." to run crap even after installing and uninstalling the game over and over again using different ideas presented in this thread. Nothing worked.
That's very strange - that dialog box is part of the protection so I don't think you are installing it correctly. If you look at the no-cd .rar file, it replaces the .exe and some .dll files. I would copy those (original) files into a sub-folder, in case you need them when installing a further game patch - unlikely, but anyway, and then unpack the no-cd patch into the SH3 directory.

Quote:
ALSO, does anyone else experience this when playing Silent Hunter III? When the game ran on my old laptop with Vista 32, my computer would just promptly shut down after about an hour or two of gaming - overheating issues. It's really frustrating that this crap keeps happening, especially since I have a well ventilated room.

A few weeks ago, when my old computer was still working, I actually played SH3 with the windows fully open - and ice cold air entered the room. I had to sit at my desk in a thick jacket and pants and heavy socks just to keep warm. And my POS computer still overheated and shut down as I played SH3. After that, it wouldn't start anymore and I eventually found out that my HD was busted. Thanks a lot SH3.

How the hell can a modern laptop, that should have no issues at all running SH3, keep overheating all the time when running this game!? This game supposedly wasn't even bringing the machine to its limits... This happened about seven times...
This is a hardware issue, not a problem with SH3. SH3 is pretty 'light' when it comes to stretching the CPU/GPU so you would also have problems with any 3D game I reckon. I recently returned my step-daughters Dell laptop under warranty due to overheating/shutdown problems (during World of Warcraft sessions) and it was repaired free of charge - a design flaw with the motherboard. You might want to check your warranty too.