View Single Post
Old 05-02-09, 09:41 PM   #88
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Default About the mastheads.

I was a bit confused myself about the double mast height issue. This mod was the first that introduced me to the U-Jagd tools, so it took me time to figure it out. Even though I've never missed a shot for closing targets (I don't fire at weird angles) I can't guarantee 100% that this is the way Mikhayl intended it to work, but here is my method.

1. Establish a perpendicular course to the target. My method is to look at the target, decide on a rough AOB, enter it in the dial, then move the periscope left or right untill the AOB dial shows the proper 90 degrees. Then just order a change to that heading. The beauty of this is that u can then check if the AOB on the dial coresponds with the ship as it closes. Before firing, i never need to move it for more than 5-10 degrees.
2. Get very very close. I'm only using electric torpedoes so anything over 2000m away is a coin flip (1000m max if I use magnetic detonator). If u can manage to keep a ship at around 45-60 degrees for long enough u can practically eye-sight when to stop closing.
3. Stop the boat completely and figure out the speed using the chronometer.
4. When the ship is at about 30 degrees u should be able to figure out the range without any calculation as most ships that u'll sink have between 20-25 m in height.
- 1 mark (2 degrees) = 4000m
- 2 marks (4 degrees) = 2000m
- 4 marks (8 degrees) = 1000m
Just in case u want to be exact about it u can use the U-Jagd tool but I found out that errors in speed estimation are balanced by errors in range estimation. I usually end up with a 12-13 degrees high ship and just set the trop to 600-700m.
However, this is the proper method (tested, and tested, and tested, with the mission editor):
- line up the number of degrees (good luck getting a good fix on that ) with the TOP of the circle (the 100 mark, not the 66 mark as U-Jagd manual stated)
- DOUBLE the mast. Yeap, u need to double it. You'll usually get between 40-50m as a result. Find that value on the outer ring and u'll see the range on the middle ring.
- in case you need to figure out the AOB, forget about it. I've never managed to do it with the OLC version of U-Jagd. And it's even more imprecise than an eye-estimate.

I don't like exact calcuations however because they give u a false sense of precision. Which leads to weird 45 degrees "moving away" shots in rough weather and lots of Loading screens. Now when i think about that bloody Notepad and the old rangefinder I can't help but laugh :rotfl:.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote