View Single Post
Old 04-30-09, 10:46 PM   #12
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
I like Asus mobo's and I hear people like Gigabyte too. I imagine the nVidia one's have to be pretty decent as well, but I'm no chip-head.

Last I looked I noticed Asus had removed a few chip fans and replaced em with non-mechanical heatsinks. I think one of my chip fans is about to die... the pipe heatsinks might be standard issue now.
I've also used a lot of ASUS boards but we started having problems with some of the new ones (up to DOA) and then their ts seems to have slipped a lot. Those problems got me to shop around and I've found that a few companies I used to avoid (including Gigabyte) have stepped up their components a lot.

I do like the passive cooling of the chipsets as well but there are quite a few companies using that technology now. Those little chipset fans have always been trouble-some and tend to be noisy as well.

It's really impressive how much good gear is available at very reasonable prices. I paid more for my C64 than I have to pay for a decent dual core today .