View Single Post
Old 03-24-09, 06:04 PM   #20
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
... The main character is some everyman whose function is to whimper in the corner, suffering nobly but incapable of any constructive function on the boat. Give me a break! On a real U-Boat he would have been properly tossed overboard without a life jacket. There weren't enough men on a U-Boat to have a designated corner whimperer. Send him back to his mommy!

When the sub is under attack there is no evasion at all! They just sit down there and hope the enemy misses. Stupid! U-Boats were not helpless victims of war, they actually fought it!

When I watched the movie in ignorance when it first came out I was awed. As I learned more and more about how submarines and U-Boats were run, I looked at Das Boot for what it is: a poor melodrama, whose purpose is propoganda. A lousy anti-war film with great props. An insult to the real U-Boat crews who fought with courage and ability.
i am sure you can understand my text if you want to, there are some typos ... normal condition on internet forums. i would like to see you type some german text anyway.

when i re-read your posting from earlier today, i would say that you have a problem with making a point.

i marked out the interessting lines in bold. first, this man was not a everyman whimp, he was what we call a "kriegsberichterstatter", in english, a war correspondent. second, this story is no fiction, it really happend. The man's name you called a everyman whimp was Lothar-Günther Buchheim, and he joint U96 in 1941 as a war correspondent. i read his book, which the movie was made after. Propaganda? For what? Hitler? You must be jokin. It points out so much as a antipropagande for Hitler. Poor Melodrama? What do you think the saving of private ryan or any reasonable movie is? everything else i would call a propagande for making war, no?

As i said earlier, this is coming to a "sensitive" point.

//EDIT: i excanged the word fragile with sensitive, that should help

Last edited by Morpheus; 03-24-09 at 06:56 PM.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote