View Single Post
Old 02-15-09, 02:44 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
Applications like Ghost are excellent. Ghost itself is the leader of the pack.

The problem with a simply file copy is that it doesnt work out all the time. Since you have the room - don't sweat compression and stuff. Besides - you have been running this thing forever - copy all the data files you want to keep and then when you stick in the drive clean rebuild it. Sure it takes time - but you normally get better performance when you do it.

Course - if your happy with the way it is - ghost is the way to go!
So, you're saying just copy the copy of the C: drive to the new external HD? Can that much be copied with a simple drag and drop?

Quote:
I chose not to be a slave to any proprietary file formats and the like so I wrote my own backup application. Does exactly what I want. One click operation. Couldn't be easier.
Why must you be so cruel!

Quote:
The best system backup is Ghost, if your main drive dies you just put in a new drive regardless of size, it partitions , formats & restores to whatever the ghost backup was, so if you had a 200gb drive & put in a new 500gb drive just restore & roughly 20 mins later your new 500gb drive is ready & bootable as before, nothing else needed.
What I have is the Main C drive and a large backup D drive that I ghost the images to, can also select "none, fast, or high" compression
Very well, sounds like Ghost is pretty popular, I am going to check it out. I do want some kind of backup system that checks for changed files daily and backs them up on the 1TB drive (gawd, I love saying that: 1TB, 1TB, 1TB, 1TB, 1TB!! ), will Ghost do that? Appears so...

thanks for the feedback, all.
Neal