View Single Post
Old 02-15-09, 10:26 AM   #1402
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0

I would like to ask a question, and thats the subject of visibility and the IJN knowing where I am before I even see them.

A sub, even on the surface, is damned hard to spot but not impossible. However, a sub at periscope depth, doing no more than slow ahead (2) should not be detected except by Clark Kent at distances over 2000 yards. If at dead slow and silent (sonar) running, probably not at all over 1000 yards or less. I was detected, in a heavy rain squall, at over 1000 yards without my scope being even up!

I was not using active "pings", instead listening to bearings and moving accordingly, at an intercept angle and the leading destroyer "spotted" me. I went down and he passed over at speed dropping charges 100-150 yards behind me where I estimate I had actually been when he found me.

Being a bit of an expert on Capt Walker RN, I am well aquainted with his unique anti sub tactics which were not employed by the IJN.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote