View Single Post
Old 12-06-08, 11:30 PM   #98
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

A question for those of you who "get around"...

Which forum has the most activity regarding Steel Fury? I'm talking announcement of mods and support and stuff. I received my boxed version during the week and have been getting right into it, having installed the unofficial patch, sound mod and panzer mod combo (on that it's great to see JSGME being used with SF, however, users should go straight to my webpage and grab the latest version as v1.5 is quite old).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Some may have noted that I have mistaken the classification labels. the depicted Panzerkampfwagen IV of course are not the Tigers as which I called them - the Tiger was version VI, with the Panther being version V. My apologies for that mismatching of names. Since I did not go into system specifics at all, my fault thank God has had no further consequences.
:rotfl: Apart from demonstrating your lack of knowledge of the subject matter, a knowledge which is kinda, well, necessary in order to be seen as knowing about what you write. Anyone with even the most basic understanding of WWII tanks can tell the difference between a PzKpfw IV Ausf F2 and PzKpfw VI Ausf E. I mean, you would never label an M1A1 as a Bradley, would you? And if someone did in a critical review of SBP, would you take it, or them, seriously after that?

Sorry, but I would expect an "official" reviewer representing tanksim.com to know the differences between most well-known tank types.

So, with this in mind, why are you surprised by the criticism you are receiving? I doubt it's just because you are critical of the game. Don't get me wrong, you have made some observations with which I totally concur (I just read your review after spending the better part of the week playing the game and forming my own opinion), but when they're hidden behind basic research errors as well as distracting spelling errors, grammatical errors, and a suggestion that you can't understand why a $50 tank simulator for the masses doesn't equal a $125 tank simulator intended for contemporary military training, you really lose your credibility (for example, comments such as "Is SF really a tank simulation able to rival SBP in the simulation department?". I think you'll find that you may well be one of a very limited few that would even be pondering this odd comparison, as most people understand the different audience that each aims for).

Anyway, that's my opinion. FWIW Steel Fury looks like it will meet my definition of "simulation", even moreso if/when the modders get fully behind it (there's movement in this area already). I like to think of SF in Dec 2008 as SH3 in Mar 2005. Nothing overly spectacular by itself, but with the right mods it has the potential for a title that befits the bold statement on the case (and let's not forget, SH3 called itself "the most impressive, realistic and gripping naval simulator" when it was released, a very optimistic statement that really was not achieved until heavily modded). Anyone who plays SH3 with GWX, or one of the other super mods, will be quite thankful that they were not influenced by a misguided review like the one you're offering for SF.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote