SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   What were they eating in Das Boot? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=249553)

Bubblehead1980 05-27-21 11:27 AM

What were they eating in Das Boot?

Watched Das Boot for first time in a while last night. Always wondered and never found definitive answer. What was the hairy meat they were eating in the officers wardroom? lol The meat the pro-Nazi Officer was cutting so properly, much to the apparent annoyance of others.

Also, while I am sure most if not all have read this review of Das Boot, it remains hilarious. "Midge" was a "Karen" before Karens were a thing. lol

https://www.amazon.com/review/R5WBK8MGNDWXI

Mad Mardigan 05-27-21 11:59 AM

Re: What were they eating...

Ahoy, Bubblehead1980...:Kaleun_Cheers:

From what I have gathered, what they were eating on, if I am NOT mistaken was basically what we now know of... as Spam. :up:

No, :haha: not that scummy crud you get in your email box... but canned meat. :yep:

That they were even trying to eat it, at that point, means that obviously they had been out there for some time & were still expected to cover their assigned area.

Of course, that's just a basic stab in the dark guess.. but, am fairly confident on that being what it was... just their own version of that meaty treat.

M. M.

:Kaleun_Salute:

derstosstrupp 05-27-21 12:18 PM

That would be Schweinskopfsülze! English speaking countries know it has head cheese, not really cheese at all, but basically like meat chunks in jelly.

Neidisch? :O:

Bubblehead1980 05-27-21 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2749941)
That would be Schweinskopfsülze! English speaking countries know it has head cheese, not really cheese at all, but basically like meat chunks in jelly.

Thank you! lol I mean, it had hair on it lol. looked horrendous and never eaten head cheese and likely unless was absolutely starving and had no other option would not and even then, i'd have to be close to death lol.

Neidisch? Nein! :Kaleun_Salute:

Bubblehead1980 05-27-21 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan (Post 2749936)
Ahoy, Bubblehead1980...:Kaleun_Cheers:

From what I have gathered, what they were eating on, if I am NOT mistaken was basically what we now know of... as Spam. :up:

No, :haha: not that scummy crud you get in your email box... but canned meat. :yep:

That they were even trying to eat it, at that point, means that obviously they had been out there for some time & were still expected to cover their assigned area.

Of course, that's just a basic stab in the dark guess.. but, am fairly confident on that being what it was... just their own version of that meaty treat.

M. M.

lol was looking pretty rough. Suppose they did not get the best food like Us subs? Although read US subs would resort to some uh meager rations once they ran out of the good stuff on longer patrols. They did take hundreds of pounds of filet mignon to sea often though lol.

Mad Mardigan 05-27-21 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derstosstrupp (Post 2749941)

Have had that before.. & basically it's closest equiv, is that canned meat byproduct of pork meat floating in jellied fat, is Spam or the store brand equiv, called luncheon meat.. or luncheon loaf.

Which is what I thought of, thinking back on that particular scene from Das Boot. :hmmm: :yep:

M. M.

bstanko6 05-27-21 02:36 PM

I want to know what that cream pudding with the red cherries was!

Looked good!

This was earlier before the hairy meat!

It was a bowl of what looked like cream of wheat or maybe grits, and he had either cherries or cherrie tomatoes in it.

Any ideas?

Mad Mardigan 05-27-21 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2749967)

Looked good!

It was a bowl of what looked like cream of wheat or maybe grits, and he had either cherries or cherrie tomatoes in it.

Any ideas?

I do remember that, as to what that was... not a bloody clue... :hmmm:

M. M.

Randomizer 05-27-21 05:38 PM

Back when I joined the Army they were expending the last of the old, canned C-Rats and I distinctly recall that occasionally the canned ham/pink meat/mystery meat and canned chicken would often have unidentifiable bits of gristle and fur that needed to be separated from the "edible" bits. Field exercises without the cooks and the kitchen trailer became much better when we went to heat and eat using boil-in bags.

From memory, the best canned C-Rat was the Swedish bacon and the worst was probably the ham and lima beans.

-C

John Pancoast 05-27-21 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2749967)

Looked good!

Any ideas?

Most likely semolina pudding and cherries.

John Pancoast 05-27-21 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomizer (Post 2749986)
Back when I joined the Army they were expending the last of the old, canned C-Rats and I distinctly recall that occasionally the canned ham/pink meat/mystery meat and canned chicken would often have unidentifiable bits of gristle and fur that needed to be separated from the "edible" bits. Field exercises without the cooks and the kitchen trailer became much better when we went to heat and eat using boil-in bags.

From memory, the best canned C-Rat was the Swedish bacon and the worst was probably the ham and lima beans.

-C

Ate my share of that fighting forest fires away from a base camp (helitack, etc.) At base camp, we ate like kings.
Sheesh; forty years ago now.

les green01 05-27-21 10:07 PM

head cheese not too bad does have a little smell to it and head cheese is chunks of meat off the animal head also in the book which they don't show is the old man making potato pancakes

bstanko6 05-27-21 10:12 PM

Never heard of semolina. I will have to check that out! Thanks John.

d@rk51d3 05-27-21 10:30 PM

I always assumed it was pickled pork.
Not uncommon to have the hair still on the rind.
Anyone had Cotechino? Italian pork sausage, containing chunks of hairy rind............. among other things.

Dessert would be semolina or rice pudding/custard (sometimes with beaten egg white folded through, and a little lemon zest) with preserved cherries.

That reminds me of the time they tried to courtmarshal my grandfather when serving in the KM.
He was the boats cook, and at the time they had run out of meat. So he just served up veg and a rich gravy.

There was an outrage from those in command, as they were convinced you couldn't make gravy without meat, and accused him of greedily eating the boats supply in secret, and thereby depriving the rest of the crew.

They were about to drag him off to the brig, when he revealed his secret.........
Dry roast the flour in the pan first, then add your liquid. It gives a roasty flavour, and a dark brown colour.

After a quick demonstration, he was restored to his position.

John Pancoast 05-28-21 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstanko6 (Post 2750008)
Never heard of semolina. I will have to check that out! Thanks John.

Kinda/sorta like tapioca. :up: