SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Life Aboard US Navy Ballistic Missile Submarine USS Wyoming – In Stunning 4K (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=247806)

Onkel Neal 12-24-20 09:05 AM

Life Aboard US Navy Ballistic Missile Submarine USS Wyoming – In Stunning 4K

https://youtu.be/Nl2fZm-jAw8

Jimbuna 12-24-20 09:35 AM

I'm wondering how many women (percentage wise) are in these crews :hmmm:

ET2SN 12-24-20 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbuna (Post 2715954)
I'm wondering how many women (percentage wise) are in these crews :hmmm:

Figure out the number of bunks in an Ohio Class "bunkroom" and use that number as a multiplier. :up:

I'm assuming the Navy still doesn't believe in unisex or co-ed berthing. :O:

Also, it depends on whether we're talking officers and/or enlisted.

Pablo 12-25-20 07:32 PM

Hi!

The US Navy's been slowly integrating more women since about 2011: officers first, then senior enlisted, then junior enlisted - largely due to the bad experiences of many female enlisted sailors when the Navy integrated the surface force. US Navy is not giving out specific numbers of sailors, but they're planning to integrate at least 21 boats over time. One SSBN skipper was cashiered a couple of years ago for failing to foster discipline & professionalism in his crew.

The SSBNs & SSGNs (ex-SSBNs) are large enough that they have enough room to arrange for separate berthing areas for female personnel, but the current attack boats do not, so the Navy's incorporating separate berthing areas into the remaining unbuilt Virginia-class SSNs and designs of the next-generation Columbia-class SSNs and New Jersey-class SSBNs.

Here's the URL to a recent (well, last year) Navy Times article on the subject: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...e-submariners/

Texas Red 12-26-20 12:06 AM

My grandpa knows a dude who was a Green Beret and his opinion was that women shouldn't be in Spec Ops or the military for that matter. His reasons were:
1. They get pregnant half the time and then the pregnant woman has to go back to the states and a replacement comes in.
2. They cannot pull their own weight and they are worthless in battle as you cannot rely upon them to have your back when need be. They're always whining and complaining too.

I can't voice my real opinion without getting into trouble so I'm gonna keep quiet. :yep:

Cybermat47 12-26-20 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the beast (Post 2716305)
2. They cannot pull their own weight and they are worthless in battle as you cannot rely upon them to have your back when need be. They're always whining and complaining too.

I’ve got quite a few women in my firefighting brigade, and they’re some of the most reliable and hardworking firefighters I know. One is even an emergency room nurse as her paid work. Not a peep of whining out of them either.

I think it makes sense to let women into the military if they’re held to the same physical and disciplinary standards as men. If they can do it, let them.

ETR3(SS) 12-26-20 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 2716278)
The SSBNs & SSGNs (ex-SSBNs) are large enough that they have enough room to arrange for separate berthing areas for female personnel, but the current attack boats do not, so the Navy's incorporating separate berthing areas into the remaining unbuilt Virginia-class SSNs and designs of the next-generation Columbia-class SSNs and New Jersey-class SSBNs.

The Ohio's actually have bunk "rooms" which allows for easier integration, whereas fast boats berthing is more akin to a passageway. And ya got a little typo there, Columbia SSBNs and Virginia Blk 4 SSNs.

Quote:

My grandpa knows a dude who was a Green Beret and his opinion was that women shouldn't be in Spec Ops or the military for that matter. His reasons were:
1. They get pregnant half the time and then the pregnant woman has to go back to the states and a replacement comes in.

I can't voice my real opinion without getting into trouble so I'm gonna keep quiet. :yep:

Number 1 is very real and will sometimes happen on purpose in order to avoid going on deployment. As for number 2, there's men who can't pull their own weight and whine and complain all the time as well.

On another note, wasn't it the Wyoming that had the shower cams installed in the officers head?

ET2SN 12-26-20 10:36 AM

Quote:

My grandpa knows a dude who was a Green Beret

What the #### does that have to do with anything? :haha:
At the legion hall, we're all former Green Berets. :up:

Don't paint yourself into a corner before you're old enough to dance. :03:
Somewhere, someone knows what they're doing. I'm not on-board 100% but I'm willing to give them a chance. :yep:

ET2SN 12-26-20 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) (Post 2716380)
As for number 2, there's men who can't pull their own weight and whine and complain all the time as well.

..and we know which division they work for. :yep::har::yeah:

Here's a hint, their boss is the Weps. :03:

Pablo 12-28-20 09:13 AM

Quote:

On another note, wasn't it the Wyoming that had the shower cams installed in the officers head?

Hi!

It was Wyoming - the camera was installed to view the showers. The case was resolved five years ago: twelve sailors were charged, seven of which were court-martialed, with ten convictions overall. Penalties consisted of varying amounts of brig time, demotions, and reductions in pay. The sailor who placed the camera received 10 months in the brig and a bad conduct discharge.

Read all about it here: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...er-video-case/

sdmuleman 12-28-20 10:34 PM

Quote:

The Ohio's actually have bunk "rooms" which allows for easier integration, whereas fast boats berthing is more akin to a passageway. And ya got a little typo there, Columbia SSBNs and Virginia Blk 4 SSNs.

Not all the block IV boats though. 796 (New Jersey) is the first SSN configured for enlisted women. Female officers are already onboard several SSNs. Most of the SSBN/GN fleet has both enlisted and officer women.

Yes, Ohio backrooms allow easier intergration, but it's still a significant alternation. It's not just a matter of the bunkrooms also, as heads and CPO quarters are also impacted, with some quite significant work on the crew heads to make the forward one female only (with reduced size) and enlarge the aft head to compensate.

Aktungbby 12-28-20 10:51 PM

Welcome aboard!

sdmuleman!:Kaleun_Salute:

Onkel Neal 12-29-20 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmuleman (Post 2716930)
Not all the block IV boats though. 796 (New Jersey) is the first SSN configured for enlisted women. Female officers are already onboard several SSNs. Most of the SSBN/GN fleet has both enlisted and officer women.

Yes, Ohio backrooms allow easier intergration, but it's still a significant alternation. It's not just a matter of the bunkrooms also, as heads and CPO quarters are also impacted, with some quite significant work on the crew heads to make the forward one female only (with reduced size) and enlarge the aft head to compensate.

Welcome to Subsim. Great first post. :Kaleun_Salute: