SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   [TEC] Enemy AI subs don show up on radar? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=230899)

Bubblehead1980 04-13-17 10:18 PM

Enemy AI subs don show up on radar?

Anyone know why they wont show up on surface (SJ) radar? How to fix this?

Sniper297 04-13-17 11:08 PM

Same reason tugboats, gunboats, sampans, junks, and fishing boats don't show up on radar, cross section above the surface is too small for a target.

USsubparts\Sensors_sub_US.sim has the "Standard detectable surface at maximum range (in meters)." values which you could adjust for smaller targets, dunno if it would work.

ETR3(SS) 04-14-17 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper297 (Post 2478769)
Same reason tugboats, gunboats, sampans, junks, and fishing boats don't show up on radar

Except those show up on radar for me.:06:

keltos01 04-14-17 09:06 AM

They were big enough. A sub cruising in dense fog was suddenly bracketed by explosions near Kisha in?43?
The Japanese captain then understood he had been found by radar... he escaped by the skin of his teeth

Sniper297 04-14-17 11:43 AM

"Except those show up on radar for me"

Might be a difference between 1.4 and 1.5, or a mega mod you're using. I'm cruising in time compression, pop out for "radar contact" only if it's the size of a subchaser or larger. If it's a boat rather than a ship I get the visual sighting report instead. I've seen IJN subs docked in Japanese ports, always the miniature ones with the tiny conning towers, never saw one at sea.

aanker 04-14-17 12:25 PM

My Sonar operator - whatever his title is - won't report contacts of fishing boats, sampans, etc, but if I look at the SJ A-scope and PPI screens they can be easily seen all over in the right areas when they are present..

If I can see them, he should see and report them. Instead, my lookouts spot them at 5.5 - 6 nm, just outside their 4.9 nm visual range.

Isn't there an adjustment that can be made to Sensors_sub_US.sim, or some other file like, Contacts.cfg, Sensors.cfg, etc that would make the operator report these contacts? Furthermore, land masses should show up on SJ, ..... they don't.

Subs should show up - even at periscope depth, and be reported too.

All of these vessels showed up and were reported in SH1, and land masses were visible on the SJ screen. Yes, SH1 is a game and has its flaws (too much traffic), but the SH1 Devs had "Bud' Gruner, CO USS Skate as a consultant. I doubt he would have permitted his name to be associated with a piece of junk.

Point me in the right direction and I'll dig, even hex edit the exe if this problem can be fixed.

Don't get me started on the missing Bathythermograph : )

Happy Hunting!