SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Unable to Install (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229748)

Zero Niner 02-16-17 04:31 AM

Unable to Install

Hi
I just popped the SH4 disc into the drive. The drive spins (indicated by the blinking light). But there's no interface that comes up to allow me to install the game.
I go to Windows Explorer, find and click SH4Autorun.exe. Nothing happens except for a turning blue circle on Explorer.
What's up. I'm running a desktop on Win 10.

Edit:
I'm thinking maybe I could install via Steam if I can't install from CD. Good thing is, my boxed copy for SH4 still has the CD key intact so I guess that means I don't have to purchase the game again. However my boxed copy of UBM has nothing remotely resembling a CD key, which I would guess I would need if I go the Steam route.
So my question is, was there ever a key in the first place? And if so what was it printed on?
I've scoured both boxes and I haven't found anything.
Thanks.

Rockin Robbins 02-16-17 07:42 AM

The behavior you're seeing looks like a hardware problem. Have you tried to play a music CD? Have you tried to play a video DVD? Another program install DVD?

Even with the advantages of Steam, I'd rather have SH4 as a standalone game. It gains nothing from the environment of Steam. I'd go standalone.

Zero Niner 02-16-17 08:22 AM

Thanks. I played the soundtrack cd that came with the game (collecter's edition) & that worked fine.
I'll try a game cd/dvd & see how that goes.

propbeanie 02-16-17 09:36 AM

Windows 10 might have the screws down tight on your SH4AutoRun, and UAC and the like are preventing it from running and firing up the Install. Try running the install file directly (I do not remember what it's named, nor where it is in the "folder" structure). You could also try right-clicking on the AutoRun filename and selectring "Run As Administrator", if the right-click menu is still there in Windows Explorer... (they're removed it from a lot of the applets in Windows itself). I don't remember if the "Compatibility" settings have any effect on a DVD-R running...

Zero Niner 02-16-17 09:47 AM

Thanks guys. Here's an update. I popped the UBM DVD in and the install screen showed up. However when I put the SH4 DVD in, I got the popup but clicking the autorun results in nothing. The drive's working but there's no installation. And somehow it's slowing down my PC, it's become "sluggish".
At least we can eliminate a faulty DVD drive.

I dearly want to play this again but I'm not inclined to re-purchase a game I've already bought.

:wah:

propbeanie 02-16-17 10:04 AM

You might also check your disk for scratches and / or dirt... I got my SH4 Gold DVD installed on Win10 several months ago, before I deleted Win10... :03:

You've probably already seen them, but read through
SH4 and Win10 and browse through
THEBERBSTER's SH4 Tutorials etc.

Zero Niner 02-16-17 10:07 AM

Any idea/tips how I might try to salvage the DVD? The SH4 is not as pristine as the UBM disc.
Edit:
I popped the sh4 dvd into my son's laptop. The install screen popped up. So for some reason the dvd drive on my desktop won't read the dvd although it appears to be fine.

propbeanie 02-16-17 10:27 AM

Damp, lint-free cloth, like a soft old T-shirt, gentle strokes from the inside hub towards the outside edge, NO CIRCULAR motion, just inside to the outside. I've also held disk under a stream of water, gently wiping, and then set them in the center of a soft cloth, folding the corners up to gently wipe dry. Those were disks that my then 4 & 6 year olds got jelly fingers on... You do not want to scratch the disk further. The next thing to do is copy the disk (actually, both of them). You of course need a DVD-R (+R) burner and a blank disk. The +R usually have the best "compatibility" for game disks, which is probably a function of the software actually... If your computer came with a burner, it probably has a recorder app that can "clone" or copy a disk. You might need a lot of error checks while doing it, if the disk is in bad shape. If you have a Linux install, RR and others could point you to some really good stuff. Some programs will read sectors multiple times and be able to get better results than most of the software that comes with drives. Another thing to remember is that drives can wear out, and the laser might be getting weak. If you have a 2nd computer with another drive, you could see if the disk works in that computer, and then go from there...

Rockin Robbins 02-16-17 03:59 PM

I take the opposite approach for scratches. Take a good washcloth and a dab of toothpaste. Wet the disk and with the disk on a good hard flat surface honk down on that thing with your thumb and scrub.

The abrasives in the toothpaste will remove ANY scratches, believe me I have rescued disks that were tremendously scratched. Medium pressure, work in swirls or circles. Occasionally wash the disk off to see where you still need to work. When you're done the surface might not be shiny. It might have a matte finish but it won't matter.

Dry the disk, put it in the drive and it WILL WORK fine. Delicacy is overrated.:har::har:

propbeanie 02-16-17 06:59 PM

I'd try the gentle approach first though, since it might just be dirt... :lol: But yeah, if she's scratched-up bad and not working when trying to do a good copy, polish away and see if you can get 'er to go. It does work sometimes. "Sensitive Teeth" formula or "Super Whitening" is not necessary...

Rockin Robbins 02-16-17 07:32 PM

I've never had a disk so scratched on the clear side that it didn't work after the toothpaste trick. But the technique is not intended to be used merely to remove dirt.

Zero Niner 02-16-17 08:39 PM

Thanks for the tips. What I don't understand is how come the laptop can read the DVD but my desktop can't.
Frustrating as hell.

Delanski 02-16-17 08:45 PM

Popped in to say it might be your DVD Drive. I've had an issue where my DVD drive wouldn't read my Arma 2 disc, then tried it another on computer and it worked. I replaced the drive shortly afterwards.

Even though, your drive can read your UBM disc, it probably hates the SH4 disc for whatever reason. I'd say if you have another DVD drive laying around somewhere, it wouldn't hurt to use that instead.

Zero Niner 02-16-17 08:50 PM

Thank you. AFAIK this particular drive hasn't had any issues reading all manner of CDs and DVDs. But then nowadays these are rare, almost everything is digital.
I'm asking around to borrow a portable DVD drive that I could use.

Zero Niner 02-17-17 01:06 AM

@propbeanie
You sir are a genius. A simple clean with a 1:1 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water and installation DVD can be read! Installing as I tyoe this.
:up::up::up: