SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   S-Class skippers unite! (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210546)

Rammstein0991 01-13-14 01:08 AM

S-Class skippers unite!

Allright folks and fogies, Lets hear your thoughts on the unsung little underdog of SH IV, the dinky little sub who putters along at 11 knots (on a good day), It may not be the prettiest boat, or the best armed, but some of us love that ancient hunk of rust and bolts.

Lets hear what you like about the S-Class, your fondest memories, best patrol, best sinking, etc. Have at it.

fireftr18 01-13-14 08:02 AM

I love starting with an s-boat. It's really a challenge just to get lined up for a decent shot. It's almost pure luck to get in position.

Sailor Steve 01-13-14 08:29 AM

Anyone who loves the sugar boat might get a kick out of this old thread too. :sunny:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...hlight=s-class

Dread Knot 01-13-14 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammstein0991 (Post 2163328)
It may not be the prettiest boat, or the best armed, but some of us love that ancient hunk of rust and bolts.

Admiral Hart, who was in command of the US Asiatic Fleet would have agreed with you. He was a strong proponent of the small coastal defense submarine instead of the large fleet submarines which had begun to appear. Hart felt that the fleet submarines had performed poorly during the Japanese conquest of the Philippines and Dutch East Indies. (they had) and that the smaller, simpler submarines he preferred would have done better (which is probably untrue.) He also felt modern subs were too complex and loaded with fragile gizmos. ( like radar and air conditioning)

The deployment of large number of S-boats out of reserve to the Southwest Pacific in 1942 may have been influenced by Hart's attitude.

Rammstein0991 01-13-14 01:05 PM

I seem to recall they had so many problems with the S boats during the war, everything from leaking pressure hulls to ballast tank compressor's failing, in fact if memory serves some of them hadnt been properly maintained since the mid 20's.

fireftr18 01-13-14 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dread Knot (Post 2163411)
Admiral Hart, who was in command of the US Asiatic Fleet would have agreed with you. He was a strong proponent of the small coastal defense submarine instead of the large fleet submarines which had begun to appear. Hart felt that the fleet submarines had performed poorly during the Japanese conquest of the Philippines and Dutch East Indies. (they had) and that the smaller, simpler submarines he preferred would have done better (which is probably untrue.) He also felt modern subs were too complex and loaded with fragile gizmos. ( like radar and air conditioning)

The deployment of large number of S-boats out of reserve to the Southwest Pacific in 1942 may have been influenced by Hart's attitude.

I can see the logic in a small coastal defense boat. You deploy, patrol for say 10 hours, and return. The crew sleeps on land. Two hour change-over so another crew can patrol with the same boat. Short range, don't need as large of crew, no sleeping quarters, no need to store large amounts of food. Makes for a smaller, faster, more agile boat over all. It could even have been used in conjuction with aircraft patrol to intercept enemy ships. :hmm2:

Cybermat47 01-13-14 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammstein0991 (Post 2163328)
It may not be the prettiest boat,

:hmmm: What do you mean? I only tried it out because I liked the look of it.

Red October1984 01-13-14 05:52 PM

I've always been successful with the ol' Sugar.

Sank a cruiser and two destroyers on my first ever patrol with it. :yeah:

Rammstein0991 01-14-14 03:11 PM

Lucky you, Most I've sank in it is big fat tankers.

U505995 01-14-14 06:15 PM

I never commanded an S-boat myself but with the way those blasted mk14's are acting I just might start a new career in one myself.

Rammstein0991 01-14-14 08:58 PM

Word of advice, it can take you up to 3 or more torpedos to sink ships that the MK XIV sinks with 1-2, but beyond that its a good boat.

TorpX 01-14-14 09:05 PM

I always liked the S-boats; mainly because I had good experiences with them in SHCE. Learning how to manually calculate firing solutions (without using the TDC), riding out depth charge attacks by angry destroyers, battling stormy seas; it was a rich learning experience.

from Sailor Steve:
Quote:

Anyone who loves the sugar boat might get a kick out of this old thread too.
I'm glad you posted that, it kind of took me back.

Rammstein0991 01-14-14 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorpX (Post 2163935)
I always liked the S-boats; mainly because I had good experiences with them in SHCE. Learning how to manually calculate firing solutions (without using the TDC), riding out depth charge attacks by angry destroyers, battling stormy seas; it was a rich learning experience.

from Sailor Steve:
I'm glad you posted that, it kind of took me back.

What Kind of experiences?:06:

Sniper297 01-15-14 03:30 AM

Everything I've read about them:

1. They were copied from the worst U-boat design of world war 1 - a 1915 model that was designed to be cheap and quick to build because of wartime shortages. It was so bad the German Navy never deployed them, used only for training in the Baltic.

2. All the seals - diving planes, periscope, prop shafts etc. - leaked so badly you couldn't dive below 150 feet. The hull was okay with the pressure, but the pumps could barely keep up with the leaks at 150. Below that the pumps couldn't keep up with the flooding, so if you went to 200 feet you were committed to going all the way down.

Some interesting reading written by the wife of an S boat sailor;

http://www.amazon.com/Pigboat-39-Ame.../dp/081310985X

TorpX 01-16-14 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rammstein0991 (Post 2163953)
What Kind of experiences?:06:

For me, SHCE and the S-class were very worthwhile because I was just developing an interest in submarines, and as I was playing a first career, I was reading CLEAR THE BRIDGE!, and I could think about, learn, and incorporate the tactics used by O'Kane. To put it another way, I learned more in this way, than I would have by just reading books. Some of it I learned in the game, some I figured out by myself, outside the game, and some I learned by reading about it.

I consider the S-class very interesting, partly because they have limited fuel/range, limited battery capacity, and limited number of tubes/torpedoes, so you must make wise use of these resources, if you are to do well.