SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   Battle of Wisconsin (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181186)

August 03-09-11 10:39 PM

Battle of Wisconsin

This is why Public Sector unions are a bad thing:

http://www.journaltimes.com/news/opi...cc4c03286.html

Quote:

Timing, it is said, is everything. That includes bad timing.
Local 67 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, may well have garnered the prize in that department when they filed a grievance against the City of Racine for hiring outside contractors to help dig out from the Feb. 1-2 blizzard that overwhelmed southeast Wisconsin.
The union filed the grievance on Feb. 18. The headlines in the newspaper that day were "Senate Dems flee Capitol" -- headlines that marked the escalation of the fight over Gov. Scott Walker's budget repair bill that would strip many public sector unions of most of their collective bargaining rights.
If he hasn't said it already, we wouldn't be surprised to see Gov. Walker point to the AFSCME grievance and say: "That's what I'm talking about."
It is a good example -- or actually a bad example -- of the difficulties municipalities have had in dealing with unions over work rules and contracts.

nikimcbee 03-09-11 10:53 PM

but..but..but...workers rights...peace..land...bread...

We need a list of the states that are unionized vs not unionized.

I'm curious how those states budgets are doing.

mookiemookie 03-09-11 10:55 PM

You remember when the Dem's passed the health care bill? It completely fired up the right. They were very motivated, very energized and organized, and handed the Democrats a sound beating at the polls.

The shoe is on the other foot in Wisconsin. There's been this very very public national debate on this issue. The Repub's cram this through in a very controversial way, against the wishes of some 60-odd% of voters (according to polls). This issue has fired up an already organized segment of the Democrat base...I would expect a lot of these Republicans in Wisconsin to lose their seats in a recall election.

August 03-09-11 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1616174)
I would expect a lot of these Republicans in Wisconsin to lose their seats in a recall election.

There are recall efforts against a bunch of the state Democrats too.

Nationally I don't know if the Dems really have a strong platform. If it were private sector unions it'd be different but I don't think public sector unions have the same degree of public support.

nikimcbee 03-10-11 12:05 AM

I was watching msnbc:dead:, and you'd never guess this was about public sector unions. Oh well, fox is currently fixated on charlie.:shifty:

Torvald Von Mansee 03-10-11 12:28 AM

It's over:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/...ex.html?hpt=T1

I hope Scott Walker and the Koch brothers enjoy their eternal stay here:

http://mohebban.burjalsaheb.com/wp-c...09/06/hell.gif

Bubblehead1980 03-10-11 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1616174)
You remember when the Dem's passed the health care bill? It completely fired up the right. They were very motivated, very energized and organized, and handed the Democrats a sound beating at the polls.

The shoe is on the other foot in Wisconsin. There's been this very very public national debate on this issue. The Repub's cram this through in a very controversial way, against the wishes of some 60-odd% of voters (according to polls). This issue has fired up an already organized segment of the Democrat base...I would expect a lot of these Republicans in Wisconsin to lose their seats in a recall election.

Senators who fled the state like spineless cowards are the ones who need to be recalled.Governor Walker said it best when he said they had three weeks to vote, instead they ran.The majority of the country is not for public sector unions.This is not the rallying cry.Big difference between passing an unconstitutional healthcare law that affects everyone in the nation and budget bill to cut the fat in Wisconsin.Governor Walker is a patriot doing what he was elected to do.

Bubblehead1980 03-10-11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee (Post 1616199)
It's over:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/...ex.html?hpt=T1

I hope Scott Walker and the Koch brothers enjoy their eternal stay here:

http://mohebban.burjalsaheb.com/wp-c...09/06/hell.gif

Yea, the Koch brothers, those mean old rich white men who control the universe.Garrrrr. LOL

Walker is trying to curb the main weight on the state's neck and get the budget under control.Union thugs lost, nice to see:arrgh!:

gimpy117 03-10-11 01:35 AM

Just wait when all those former union jobs are privatized and the companies start ripping off the taxpayers.

nikimcbee 03-10-11 03:01 AM

Well everycheezhead has his day. Congrats Aramike:salute:
http://reflectionsgallerytn.com/imag...brigade_lg.jpg

Here Mike, do a Lambeau leap for me!
http://www.greenbaypackernation.com/...acker-fan.jpeg

Freiwillige 03-10-11 03:31 AM

I am glad they passed the bill. Unions love to misrepresent their struggle as a middle class struggle. Most middle class don't get padded benefits, retirement plans etc. The middle class actually pays for the a fore mentioned benefits.

They are not with us, they are with themselves at taxpayers expense.
No thanks and buh bye.

Tribesman 03-10-11 03:57 AM

Quote:

Unions love to misrepresent their struggle as a middle class struggle. Most middle class don't get padded benefits, retirement plans etc. The middle class actually pays for the a fore mentioned benefits.

Isn't it funny you should post that when the middle class is in serious decline.
It is even funnier when many of those people who have paid for their afore mentioned benefits now find them to be practicly worthless and they have no one to deal collectively on thier behalf.

Though another truth of it is that a major proportion of those "middle class" people were never middle class anyway, just working class with a big line of unaffordable credit and a dream that was getting further beyond their reach on a daily basis.

Takeda Shingen 03-10-11 07:16 AM

I'm just glad that I got out of K-12 education before the return of the $20k-a-year salary.

August 03-10-11 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimpy117 (Post 1616225)
Just wait when all those former union jobs are privatized and the companies start ripping off the taxpayers.

The nice thing about a private company is if that happens the company gets fired and perhaps prosecuted as well. When the union does it they get a slap on the wrist if anything.

Meanwhile I see you have nothing to add about the snow plowing grievance. It must be nice to ignore the truth about the situation and concentrate on swallowing your sides propaganda.

yubba 03-10-11 08:45 AM

Thank you Wis. a victory for the taxpayer.

Armistead 03-10-11 09:07 AM

We bail out corporations, basically same thing as funding unions, have we asked all the corporate employees to take cuts in salary and benefits. Have the CEO's dropped bonuses? Have the banks paid us back yet?

mookiemookie 03-10-11 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1616387)
The nice thing about a private company is if that happens the company gets fired and perhaps prosecuted as well. When the union does it they get a slap on the wrist if anything.

Meanwhile I see you have nothing to add about the snow plowing grievance. It must be nice to ignore the truth about the situation and concentrate on swallowing your sides propaganda.

Oh come now, August. You know this isn't about the budget. This is about one side weakening a political ally of the other side. They've admitted as much. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

Platapus 03-10-11 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armistead (Post 1616411)
Have the banks paid us back yet?

Goldman Sachs, Morgan, Wells Fargo, BONY, and the other big banks have paid back their loans. Citibank has paid back about half.

Smaller banks are taking longer to pay back, but that is understandable as they are small banks.

August 03-10-11 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1616433)
Oh come now, August. You know this isn't about the budget. This is about one side weakening a political ally of the other side. They've admitted as much. Let's be honest with ourselves here.

Did you read the OP article?

The union, supposedly filled with caring civic minded people (if you can believe the propaganda) is willing to sue a cash strapped town because they used, omg! :o, private contractors to pick up the slack during an emergency. If they win the town has to pay twice. Lovely.

I think it's a pretty clear indication that the unions are only in it for themselves and will merrily screw the taxpayer if they can get away with it. I don't care if it's a private company we're talking about but when it comes to the public sector we need to understand just who these people are organizing against.

mookiemookie 03-10-11 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by August (Post 1616467)
Did you read the OP article?

The union, supposedly filled with caring civic minded people (if you can believe the propaganda) is willing to sue a cash strapped town because they used, omg! :o, private contractors to pick up the slack during an emergency. If they win the town has to pay twice. Lovely.

I think it's a pretty clear indication that the unions are only in it for themselves and will merrily screw the taxpayer if they can get away with it. I don't care if it's a private company we're talking about but when it comes to the public sector we need to understand just who these people are organizing against.

I did read it, and yes, that's a crappy thing to do. But is the solution to remove all collective bargaining rights from state employees, or maybe is it to renegotiate the contract?