SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Maximum temperature from different components (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=171724)

Loud_Silence 06-30-10 04:43 PM

Maximum temperature from different components

After my Hitachi crashed, I bought a 500 GB SATA2 Seagate hard drive.

When I first installed it, it ran quite cool, at about 30ºC (86ºF). But today's been a pretty hot day and, after flying IL-2 1946 for a while these are the temperature readings:

CPU: 60ºC (140ºF)
GPU: 65ºC (150ºF)
Hard Drive: 37ºC (98ºF)
Motherboard: 44ºC (110ºF) (I don't know if this reading is an average of the temperature inside the case or close to a MB component, like the South Bridge or something like it)

As you can see, everything is heating up.

I keep the CPU's safe temperature below 65ºC. Between 65º and 75º I try to put less stress on it so it cools down. If it goes above 75º I shut down the computer inmediately. The meltdown point is somewhere between 85º and 90º (the CPU core itself may not be damaged, but the board will).

I've read somewhere that the GPU can withstand temperatures up to 110ºC, but I prefer to keep it below 80º, since it would heat up everything else inside the case.

The hard drive is what worries me most. They're very sensitive to high temperatures, and about five summers ago I lost two hard drives during a heat wave. The drive's datasheet says that it can withstand temperatures up to 70ºC, but again I use a safe temperature limit below 55ºC.

My case is well ventilated, but the fans will do little work if the air outside the case is already hot...:dead:

Gerald 06-30-10 05:01 PM

Important too check,temp as well..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loud_Silence (Post 1432029)

When I first installed it, it ran quite cool, at about 30ºC (86ºF). But today's been a pretty hot day and, after flying IL-2 1946 for a while these are the temperature readings:

Motherboard: 44ºC (110ºF) (I don't know if this reading is an average of the temperature inside the case or close to a MB component, like the South Bridge or something like it)

I keep the CPU's safe temperature below 65ºC. Between 65º and 75º I try to put less stress on it so it cools down. If it goes above 75º I shut down the computer inmediately. The meltdown point is somewhere between 85º and 90º (the CPU core itself may not be damaged, but the board will).

I've read somewhere that the GPU can withstand temperatures up to 110ºC, but I prefer to keep it below 80º, since it would heat up everything else inside the case.

The hard drive is what worries me most. They're very sensitive to high temperatures, and about five summers ago I lost two hard drives during a heat wave. The drive's datasheet says that it can withstand temperatures up to 70ºC, but again I use a safe temperature limit below 55ºC.

My case is well ventilated, but the fans will do little work if the air outside the case is already hot...:dead:

What kind vid-card have you? ATI or GeForce?

FIREWALL 06-30-10 05:18 PM

Just how hot is the room your in ?

Gerald 06-30-10 05:25 PM

Right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1432066)
Just how hot is the room your in ?

The hole environment,is very important..

Gerald 06-30-10 05:35 PM

And I suppose..

you running with the box closed, for efficient chilliness..

FIREWALL 06-30-10 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1432081)
The hole environment,is very important..

My point is, if the ambient temp of the room is 100 F.

All the case fans in the world are not going to cool it.

That's why I'm asking what his room temp is.

Gerald 06-30-10 05:55 PM

I now...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1432097)
My point is, if the ambient temp of the room is 100 F.

All the case fans in the world are not going to cool it.

That's why I'm asking what his room temp is.

but you can, reduce the temp,even if there smell hot-dogs with fan,a bit....or have Install A/C in the room,could be expensive...:hmm2:

FIREWALL 06-30-10 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1432115)
but you can, reduce the temp,even if there smell hot-dogs with fan,a bit....or have Install A/C in the room,could be expensive...:hmm2:

Hr might have to. I reread his first post. His last sentence tells it all. :haha:

Gerald 06-30-10 06:33 PM

Yeah..

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1432129)
Hr might have to. I reread his first post. His last sentence tells it all. :haha:

I read that to,the first and only post in this "heat" thread.....:cool:

Arclight 06-30-10 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loud_Silence (Post 1432029)

Your following proper rules, but I'd try to keep the CPU below 65C at all times. With the CPU running hot, above it's "safe" threshold, you'll be decreasing it's lifespan, even if ever so slightly and slowly. Upgrade the coller, or at least put some high-grade paste between it and the sink.

You can actually do the same with a graphics card and some memory with heat-spreaders. Taking it apart will void warranty though.

Graphics, no higher than 80C. Dual slot cooler really helps vent the heat out the back, instead of into the case.

Personally I'd start to worry about my HDs when they aproach 50C, same for the board, though I've never had either get that high. :hmmm:

Loud_Silence 06-30-10 07:33 PM

Alright, its 2 a.m. now (I'm waiting for 3:30 am to see Jupiter eclipsing Io on the telescope :sunny:) and room temperature is 90ºF...

As Firewall said, all the fans in the world can't do anything if the room is hot.

My card is a nvidia geforce GTS250, so yeah, it was born to heat up.

I happen to have A.C. in this room, but buying and installing it is just a fraction of what having it running costs:doh:

FIREWALL 06-30-10 07:56 PM

2am and 90F !!!!:o Where the hell do you live ?

Gerald 07-01-10 02:04 AM

In the...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FIREWALL (Post 1432202)
2am and 90F !!!!:o Where the hell do you live ?

Desert.....maybe :roll:

SteamWake 07-01-10 09:04 AM

If you run a computer in a hot room the room will get hotter and... well you get the idea.

By the way I have done some experimenting and at least with socket 775 cooling systems they run cooler without the outside cover to the case or its fan attached.

An open box with a small floor fan blowing into the open box can make a dramatic difference.

The issue is that you end up having to clean the heat sinks often.

Seth8530 07-25-10 08:47 PM

what type of cpu are you running? that matters a WHOLE lot.