SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   PC Hardware/Software forum (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Stripped down Windows 7 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=143518)

Onkel Neal 10-23-08 11:49 PM

Stripped down Windows 7

Hee, finally MS gets it.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/15265...windows_7.html

Microsoft is preparing for the 2010 (or earlier) launch of Windows Vista's successor, touted as a faster, stripped-down refresh of the much-maligned OS.

I mean, christ, I need 2 GB of RAM just for operating system?:shifty:

Thread for the future HW/SW forum

Zachstar 10-24-08 12:01 AM

I am forced to used Vista on my next PC build due to OpenGL failing on the market. I have already spent hours trying to unload the crap that came with a dell the parents bought.

I am thinking about ditching the shell it comes with altogether and going with BlackBox for Windows for it too.

I am afraid. No telling what Vista nightmares lay ahead for me. Yet I know I will have to do serious studying so I don't unload something critical.

bookworm_020 10-24-08 12:03 AM

After copy the look of the Apple OS for the last Windows, they have finaly realized that the bloatware know as Vista is carring to much weight around.

If they can slim it down, make it stable and user friendly, I'll buy it. But till then, I'm sticking with XP

BTW Has anyone seen a preview of Windows 7, and if so, can you give some feedback on it?

Hylander_1314 10-24-08 12:07 AM

Well it' about dogone time!

I guess they finally figured out that the people who buy their products aren't too pleased with what they've been offerring.

Reece 10-24-08 02:06 AM

Well thats that Hylander, I just have to hold on to XP Pro now, that's good news Neal.:yep:

FIREWALL 10-24-08 02:43 AM

IIRC MS promised the world prior to Vista being released. :roll:

It seems to me MS wants to sweep Vista under the rug and push their Latest and Greatest , Super Duper POS OS.

To B Gates mindset, The roobs are just about ripe for the plucking.

Skybird 10-24-08 05:12 AM

I see it when I believe it. Their PR reputation I would not rate as the most trustworthy around. They want to sell it what they produce, no matter if it is good or bad. That is the context within which all press releases have to be read.

McBeck 10-24-08 05:24 AM

This is no new strategy...its been there prior to Vista.

Vista is a stepping stone to Windows 7, because the changes are so major.

The core of Windows 7 is no more than a promt - just like in DOS

Old, but still worth a read:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...win_inside.asp

Raptor1 10-24-08 05:32 AM

I do hope that they finally learned that OS' should not interfere with whatever you're running on them

@bookworm, the Windows 7 alpha versions should show up soon at MSDN or MS conventions (As had Vista/Longhorn), we should get some insight into it then

goldorak 10-24-08 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Hee, finally MS gets it.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/15265...windows_7.html

Microsoft is preparing for the 2010 (or earlier) launch of Windows Vista's successor, touted as a faster, stripped-down refresh of the much-maligned OS.

I mean, christ, I need 2 GB of RAM just for operating system?:shifty:

Thread for the future HW/SW forum

Ram is pretty cheap these days, and frankly buying a 32 bit operating system in 2009-2010 you're in for a world of hurt. The way to go is 64 bit os.

Hanomag 10-24-08 09:30 AM

Can It run SH 3? :hmm:

The rest is hooey!

XP 4TW !!!

SteamWake 10-24-08 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachstar
I am forced to used Vista on my next PC build due to OpenGL failing on the market. I have already spent hours trying to unload the crap that came with a dell the parents bought.

I am thinking about ditching the shell it comes with altogether and going with BlackBox for Windows for it too.

I am afraid. No telling what Vista nightmares lay ahead for me. Yet I know I will have to do serious studying so I don't unload something critical.

Thats what reformats are for :smug:

2 Gigs of ram is pretty much standard these days :|\\

Im avoiding vista as best I can. Our office is local networked with mostly xp machines, the two vista machines absolutly refuse to recognize the network exists :damn:

Hylander_1314 10-24-08 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamWake
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zachstar

Thats what reformats are for :smug:

2 Gigs of ram is pretty much standard these days :|\\

Im avoiding vista as best I can. Our office is local networked with mostly xp machines, the two vista machines absolutly refuse to recognize the network exists :damn:

That's because the XP machines have not been assymilated. :)

Diopos 10-24-08 10:08 AM

Rule of thumb: Skip one OS.
Now I'm on XP. I never considered vista. I will be interested when they come up with the next new thingy.
The real headache is for people using puters professionally with official/registered superprogramms etc. May the force, God and Allah be with you! :yep:

Wolfehunter 10-24-08 01:07 PM

What they should do is make a affordable gamer windows version. :up:

If this Version 7 windows is streamed down like it says then thats as close as we get to one...;)

I will buy it if its good.:D