SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Was the Mining Mod ever continued? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126466)

Canovaro 12-07-07 06:39 AM

Was the Mining Mod ever continued?

CB.. made an experimental mod to turn TII torpedoes into stationary, lethal mines!

link to mod:
http://www.ebort2.co.uk/files/sh3mines.zip

There were two problems though:
- ship has to come real close to trigger the mines.
- there are only as much mines as you can store torpedoes, not dozens like in reality.

Did anyone every looked into this mod to deal with these last problems?
It would be so interesting to add mining missions to the gameplay.

Old links:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=94252

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=120963

Dowly 12-07-07 06:53 AM

AFAIK, the mines are still unexplosive, atleast in the version I used at WaW.

Canovaro 01-18-08 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dowly
AFAIK, the mines are still unexplosive, atleast in the version I used at WaW.

I tried them out and indeed, they do not explode, even if you hit them.
Strange thing is, CB makes it very clear in various posts that they DO explode, when you come close (they're based on magnetic triggering) :doh:

Can anybody shine a light on this?

Do they explode or do they not explode?

Sniper_Fox 01-18-08 05:33 PM

at the sacrifice of your decoys could you make them into the mines?

LGN1 07-25-11 03:57 PM

Mine laying in SH3

Hi,

laying mines has been implemented in OM for SH4 and I know that quite a few people have worked on this for SH3.

- Does anyone ever released a mod for mine laying for SH3?

- If yes, does anyone still have a copy of it?

From what I gathered from old posts there are two ways to achieve this: Either use 'fake' torpedoes or use the bold decoy. If anyone has more details about this, I would be glad to know.

Cheers, LGN1

pditty8811 07-25-11 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 1712935)
Hi,

laying mines has been implemented in OM for SH4 and I know that quite a few people have worked on this for SH3.

- Does anyone ever released a mod for mine laying for SH3?

- If yes, does anyone still have a copy of it?

From what I gathered from old posts there are two ways to achieve this: Either use 'fake' torpedoes or use the bold decoy. If anyone has more details about this, I would be glad to know.

Cheers, LGN1

I can tell you now, just having the mines show up in future patrols is currently in the impossible area of modding development. To lay mines would be one thing, but for them to show up in any future patrols or if you even leave and comeback to the area you laid mines during the same patrol, they would not show up. So being that that is impossible at the momment, it makes the whole idea of laying mines irrelevent because once you got out of sight of those mines they would disappear from the game.

If we can find a remedy for that there is many other places we can fiddle with that would most certainly take a priority like a dynamic campaign of ships disappearing from the SCR layer once you sink them. But all this is currently out of touch.

-pditty8811

danzig70 07-25-11 07:04 PM

It might be possible to create a program that searches the save game map file for a specific object and it's location and then add it to the campaign files after you exit the patrol. You would probably need another map object like a circle or mine symbol of some kind.

Of course you could probably just edit the campaign files manually anyway. After the patrol.

andqui 07-25-11 07:42 PM

I think the gameplay challenge alone of laying mines would make it worth is- sneak in at night, very close to the shore, in waters that are possibly already mined, where discovery means you're in a great deal of trouble. If anyone implements mining it would be awesome.

pditty8811 07-25-11 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andqui (Post 1713075)
I think the gameplay challenge alone of laying mines would make it worth is- sneak in at night, very close to the shore, in waters that are possibly already mined, where discovery means you're in a great deal of trouble. If anyone implements mining it would be awesome.

You mean mission objectives of laying mines? That would be cool. I wonder if any has yet to change the mission objectives in the career to anything other than a patrol grid. I noticed in the mods that add the monsoon boats there is area patrol grids, by name. I wonder how they got that to work.

Canovaro 07-26-11 12:34 AM

Well there is a very old minelayer mod that changes type II torpedo's into floating mines. The creator of the mod claimes that they do explode on contact but I never managed to make that happen.

Try a search on these forums.

pditty8811 07-26-11 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canovaro (Post 1713164)
Well there is a very old minelayer mod that changes type II torpedo's into floating mines. The creator of the mod claimes that they do explode on contact but I never managed to make that happen.

Try a search on these forums.

Well, even if they did explode on contact you would have to sit there and wait to watch a vessel hit it. Because if you leave the area, that mine disappears.

Canovaro 07-26-11 06:13 AM

True. But still great fun! :yeah:

LGN1 07-26-11 02:12 PM

Hi,

thanks for your replies!

I have some ideas I want to test to see whether I can include mine-laying missions in the SH3 campaign. I'm aware of all the limitations, but I think (like andqui) that it would still be great if you could get orders for laying mines during a career. Especially early in the war there were quite a few mine laying operations. These operations were very dangerous (i.e., thrilling in a simulation :D) and in most cases did not lead to any recognizable success for the u-boats (what made these missions even more annoying).

One might argue that because the mines have no real effect in SH3, being able to lay mines in SH3 is not crucial for implementing mine-laying missions in SH3. That's true, however, I think it would add considerably to the immersion.

@Canovaro: All links I've found are dead :wah: Does anyone still have some files in his private archive?

Cheers, LGN1

pditty8811 07-26-11 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LGN1 (Post 1713539)
Hi,

thanks for your replies!

I have some ideas I want to test to see whether I can include mine-laying missions in the SH3 campaign. I'm aware of all the limitations, but I think (like andqui) that it would still be great if you could get orders for laying mines during a career. Especially early in the war there were quite a few mine laying operations. These operations were very dangerous (i.e., thrilling in a simulation :D) and in most cases did not lead to any recognizable success for the u-boats (what made these missions even more annoying).

One might argue that because the mines have no real effect in SH3, being able to lay mines in SH3 is not crucial for implementing mine-laying missions in SH3. That's true, however, I think it would add considerably to the immersion.

@Canovaro: All links I've found are dead :wah: Does anyone still have some files in his private archive?

Cheers, LGN1

Well good luck to you. If you get it figured out I would love to add it to my game.

If you can figure out how to change the career mission objective parameters, and say there completed when you lay mines in certain areas perhaps we can take it to another level. Like recon missions, or rescue missions, or enigma missions. Stuff like that. I'm not sure where to start on how to change mission objectives in the career game. I know Flotilla.cfg has the grids for the flotillas. But just changing those to whatever you want wont mean they'll get completed when you lay mines. :hmmm:

-pditty8811

Hitman 07-26-11 03:22 PM

Quote:

have some ideas I want to test to see whether I can include mine-laying missions in the SH3 campaign. I'm aware of all the limitations, but I think (like andqui) that it would still be great if you could get orders for laying mines during a career. Especially early in the war there were quite a few mine laying operations. These operations were very dangerous (i.e., thrilling in a simulation :D) and in most cases did not lead to any recognizable success for the u-boats (what made these missions even more annoying).

I agree with you, minelaying was an important, but also dangerous and much hated task for uboats in WW2. It should somehow make its way into the game, and because real commanders (And BdU) only rarely learned about ships sunk by their laid mines and got credit for them, leaving the area afterwards and having the mine dissapear is not a big issue.

That said, you can make the mines stay there for all the time you want it, even if they won't explode unless you are closeby (40km, the are where units are physically spawned and not just traced as abstract entities) and will not get any credit for anything they sink. How? Well, opening SH3 mission editor and adding a german minefield exactly where you accomplished your mission, with the number of mines and spacing you put them.

It can be done, it just will require some manual input from the player, though it could theoretically be automated by a Perl script ;) that asks you for the parameters (Latitude/Longitude, number of mines, spacing) and then writes the minefield into the LND campaign layer for you. :up:

In fact, what the script would ask you is what the real commander would fill in the report to BdU.