SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   The man who never was (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=103372)

Linton 01-08-07 01:45 PM

The man who never was

Yhe film of this title is only available as a region 1 DVD.Would any of you be able to do a little magic so I can watch it on a region 2
The film is about a famous WW2 deception undertaken from a submarine and based on a real event.

bradclark1 01-08-07 02:02 PM

Sure it's not about Operation Mincemeat using the body of a fictional royal marine major with fake plans for Operation Husky? Poor guy served his country better as a cadaver then alive.

bookworm_020 01-08-07 05:09 PM

I'm suprised that it isn't region 2 already as it's a british film!! I remember reading the true story behind the film, the bloke was a low life crim in life, but a service to his country in death!

Linton 01-09-07 04:18 AM

Yes it is about operation mincemeat.There is now some debate that the body was that of a drowned sailor from HMS Dasher.
It is a shame it is a region1 only disc.

Kazuaki Shimazaki II 01-09-07 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linton
Yhe film of this title is only available as a region 1 DVD.Would any of you be able to do a little magic so I can watch it on a region 2
The film is about a famous WW2 deception undertaken from a submarine and based on a real event.

Buy the disc, then try getting things like DVD Decrypter (try using Google) to coax the files out. I understand that it and similar programs are still alive and free. Then reburn it onto a DVD-R.

Better yet. Recompress it as XViD - codec's free. The picture quality will still be quite good and now it and two other films should be able to fit onto a 4.7GB DVD-R.

Kaleun 01-09-07 08:08 AM

hi,

Do a google search for slysoft's "Anydvd" (i think version 6.1 is the latest) - it will allow any dvd drive read any disk region by unencrypting on the fly. you can get a free demo or you can purchase the full product - it's v good, i use it all the time for watching region 1 disks in the uk.

Kaleun

Linton 01-21-07 05:49 PM

Would somebody in the region 1 area buy this dvd and let me know how much submarine footage there is please.

Platapus 04-05-07 11:10 AM

While you are waiting for the decryption, Make sure you read the book "the man who never was."

This true story is more exciting than many fiction stories out there. It really goes in to the problems of building a strong cover for intel operations

Linton 04-06-07 06:32 PM

This film was on BBC2 in the UK last weekend-I don't suppose anybody copied it?

perisher 05-07-07 02:07 PM

There's not much sub in it. It's more about the plan, getting the body, setting up the deception and maintaining the fake identity after the Germans got the corpse.