SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Dangerous Waters (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   The Dance of the 688(I)s (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239745)

FPSchazly 01-23-19 11:53 AM

The Dance of the 688(I)s

Hey, all! A while back, a friend and I were running some experiments and decided to mess around at the end. We collided our 688(I)s together at flank speed and wow the collision physics in Dangerous Waters are wonky! :haha:

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAKS3wjKcc

Aktungbby 01-23-19 04:53 PM

must have been a slow day!:O:

Kapitan 01-24-19 06:06 PM

I love DW but the graphics now are so dated sadly i do wish we could get something similar up and off the board DW is now what some 14 years old ish

FPSchazly 01-28-19 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aktungbby (Post 2588122)
must have been a slow day!:O:

Yes, indeed. Gotta break up the monotony somehow! :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan (Post 2588270)
I love DW but the graphics now are so dated sadly i do wish we could get something similar up and off the board DW is now what some 14 years old ish

Yes, it is quite old. Crazy to think about, I can remember playing it when it came out. Here's to something in the future! :Kaleun_Cheers:

VulcanRidr 02-01-19 01:37 PM

Hey all,

I'm a sub sim n00b (or re-n00b). On one hand, the graphics don't necessarily bother me. I still play original Harpoon and Tracon in DOSbox. As long as the game concept is good...

Now having said that, and I hope this is not a flamewar topic, how does Cold Waters stack up to Dangerous Waters?

Thanks,
--vr

Kapitan 02-01-19 01:44 PM

Firstly welcome to subsim

Secondly cold waters is Moreno like the old Tom Clancy SSN and personally I'm not a fan I much prefer the simulated stations that you get in DW and the feel for command

My vote goes to DW if you played sub command it's almost the same except more playable units including air and surface in the stock and with DWX it improves it a lot

VulcanRidr 02-01-19 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan (Post 2589462)
Firstly welcome to subsim

Thanks Kapitan. I have been a huge submarine fan, and lately have been going through all of my sub movies, both WWII and modern. I just ran across the copy of DW that I had down in the basement. (more on this later)

Quote:

Secondly cold waters is Moreno like the old Tom Clancy SSN and personally I'm not a fan I much prefer the simulated stations that you get in DW and the feel for command

Okay...Kind of like the reason I play stuff like original Harpoon and Tracon. They are good conceptual simulators, rather than games that need the eye candy. I used to play Falcon4, and stayed inside the cockpit there too.

Quote:

My vote goes to DW if you played sub command it's almost the same except more playable units including air and surface in the stock and with DWX it improves it a lot
Okay, I have two questions. First, what is DWX and where can I get it? Second, I am a Unix sysadmin by trade, and so I don't run Windows. Does anyone have any experience with installing DW in WINE?

Thanks,
--vr

Kapitan 02-01-19 02:21 PM

DWX is a super mod by outside modders and I have to say it is brilliant more playable units ncluding the udaloy and more Russian and American boats more countries have been added as Playable and AI

If you search for a guy on here FPSchazley think the link is in his comments or p7p8 another major player of the game

As for your technical question I can't help there I'm afraid

VulcanRidr 02-01-19 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kapitan (Post 2589471)
DWX is a super mod by outside modders and I have to say it is brilliant more playable units ncluding the udaloy and more Russian and American boats more countries have been added as Playable and AI

If you search for a guy on here FPSchazley think the link is in his comments or p7p8 another major player of the game

Awesome! I "met" FPSchazley on youtube, and just went through several of his beginner's videos. I will go look on the forums and see what I can find.

Quote:

As for your technical question I can't help there I'm afraid

Thank you sir. It's a very one-off piece of information.

p7p8 02-01-19 07:16 PM

DW should works with Wine:
link to topic
One of my friend years ago launched DW on linux but now i haven't contact with him.

FPSchazly made great tutorial videos and i recommend to watch it if you start DW adventure.
For more experienced players i recommend to participate in MP games - you will learn how to play DW with combined forces for more tactical gaming.

If you looking for MP games and community check discord DWLD channel (click on my signature).
We play MP games every weekend (only with RA mod) or more.
Last game was played 3 hours ago:

https://youtu.be/8j8VRewWlwU

(video from last game from my Udaloy perspective)

I know almost all about Reinforced Alert mod :)
I am tester for newest RA versions before releasing.

One "bad" think about RA:
Mod is NOT compatibile with vanilla missions or campaign, and single player missions are rare - nobody make new single player scenarios.

So if you want to play vanilla campaign, wait a bit with RA installation.
In other hand, after installing RA you probably won't back to vanilla because mod extend many aspects of game.

Aktungbby 02-02-19 12:06 AM

Welcome aboard!

VulcanRydr!:Kaleun_Salute: