SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   RUMOR: SimCity 5 to be announced at GDC (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=192998)

Dowly 03-28-12 10:23 AM

The article tends to say:

Quote:

...permanent online connection all the time.
and

Quote:

...always-on is necessary for the game’s “emphasis on multiplayer and regional impact, and the use of a global economy that all players can influence.”
Sounds like connection is required to play.

I believe a certain 'bay' will get plenty of visitors once this is released. Hopefully
they have enough docking space. :hmmm:

Arclight 03-28-12 11:04 AM

The article is pretty specific, yeah... still trying my darnedest to ignore it and pray for a mistake though. :yep:

Because surely this is a mistake, right? They wouldn't do this to such a long-awaited and anticipated sequel to a highly praised franchise. :-?

*remembers it was EA that made Syndicate into a shooter*

:o

We're screwed. :wah:

NeonSamurai 03-28-12 03:42 PM

Hmm didn't CitiesXL do that exact same thing, and everyone hated it. I know the last thing I want is to be forced online. I don't like having to play with other people most of the time, and I really HATE being forced to.

mookiemookie 03-28-12 04:12 PM

I. HATE. MULTIPLAYER. ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't WANT to have a global economy, I don't WANT to impact the region. I don't want to have a neighbor city. Dammit, EA, can't you just let me continue to use video games as a way to indulge my antisocial tendencies?

Penguin 03-28-12 04:59 PM

no,no,no,no,no,no :nope:
Did they not learn a lesson from CitiesXL, where the online requirement was booted after some weeks? :damn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1862176)

I don't WANT to have a global economy, I don't WANT to impact the region. I don't want to have a neighbor city. Dammit, EA, can't you just let me continue to use video games as a way to indulge my antisocial tendencies?

It was perfectly fine in SC4, where you had your own cities as neighbors. Man, I want to dump my garbage into the neighbor town of "Trashville" while trading with my rural city "Redneckton" - don't want to communicate with some 12-year old kids to build my metropolis! :nope:

Oberon 03-28-12 08:05 PM

Son of a...

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN EA!!!!

:damn:

Raptor1 03-28-12 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberon (Post 1862284)
LEARN

Quote:

EA!!!!

Mutually exclusive words...

Did I already say something about this that allows me to say "I told you so"? If not, pretend I did...

Spike88 03-29-12 08:51 AM

I have to agree with everyone else on the whole "Always Online" crap. Unless there is an offline mode(and a way to get it without Origin), I'm skipping this title.

Also, I don't like the fact your Sims will get a new job and a new house everyday.

HunterICX 03-29-12 10:23 AM

Quote:

Son of a...

WHEN WILL YOU LEARN EA!!!!

:damn:

No...when do you learn :O:.

And for the ones that still had any shred of hope...
http://cdn.chud.com/4/4f/4fd4a3d0_si...on_haha-1.jpeg

So remember EA = Bad M'kay.

HunterICX

Oberon 03-29-12 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike88 (Post 1862450)
Also, I don't like the fact your Sims will get a new job and a new house everyday.

I don't think that they'll do that everyday, I think that they will go through a routine in that they will look for a new job and new house everyday, and if one is available to them they will take it depending upon their circumstances and that of the city around them.

Irregardless..always on DRM... :damn:

Spike88 03-29-12 11:44 AM

Quote:

EA have issued a clarification to Gamespy that while you will have to have an internet connection to launch SimCity, it will not boot you off if your connection goes down. Which is to say, it’s not as egregious as others’ “always-on” DRM, but we maintain is still an unnecessary and game-crippling mistake, which we really hope they will reverse before release.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-every-launch/

Arclight 04-04-12 06:47 AM

SimCity’s “GlassBox Engine” Videos Reveal Sim Systems

Think the first video is "old", other should be a new thing.

Bit bewildered by how jobs are handled. It's really like indicated before, with people possibly having a different job every day. Basically every building that requires workers sends a request for them each morning when they start up.

It does mean production sources draw workers from the most convenient source though, avoiding commuters from clear across the city. Bit easier to manage traffic like that I wager.

Dowly 04-04-12 07:03 AM

The job thing sounds kinda like how Pharaoh did it. IIRC, in Pharaoh if you plonk
down a building that requires workers, a dude spawns from said building and
starts to wander around the city recruiting unemployed people from the houses.

Arclight 04-17-12 09:54 AM

Bit on water supply: Water Works Well: SimCity

soopaman2 04-18-12 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookiemookie (Post 1862176)
I. HATE. MULTIPLAYER. ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a trend towards appealing to the MP crowd. I seen SP parts of games ruined because of fixes to MP units/weapons/abilities.

I am not trashing the MP crowd, just that they represent a minority and get catered to constantly.

Dowly I thought the same thing about a certain illicit "port of call" being used alot.

I have quite a few games that require online connections that I wish I "Jack Sparrowed"

Because jack and his crewmembers have all that crap removed, and get just a game.

edit: There is nothing relaxing nor casual about modern MP games.