SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   British Medium Old Tanker (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=195353)

SubTroll 05-19-12 10:33 AM

British Medium Old Tanker

Am I the only one that has noticed this, but there have been many instances of me firing a torpedo at a British Medium Old Tanker, hitting it and causing a lot of damage, yet not sinking!?! :stare: These little crap-boxes are also very resilient against deck gun fire, it seems, considering that they are only about 2800 tons! You would think the ship would get obliterated by a well-aimed torpedo!

Just for record, I've destroyed several of the massive T3 tankers WITH ONE TORPEDO! Is there something wrong here?!

Littica Marek 06-20-12 06:27 AM

Never underestimate British Engineering.... for good and ill.

That said i have had the *lighter* ships take huge amounts of damage and seem to just plod on like its nothing

Hardigen 06-28-12 06:00 AM

resilience

I too have had the same effect . put 2 fish in one and she went on her merry way with a slight list to port .(have to get closer ) maybe .

Sailor Steve 06-28-12 08:07 AM

In all the SH games there seem to be certain ships that are just 'wrong'. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about it.

Hylander_1314 06-28-12 01:30 PM

No Subtroll, you're not the only one.

I have had similar experiences. I just attribute it to good emergency reaction by the crew closing all watertight doors, and all. But I have had ships of the same class take one torpedo to sink, and others take half the loadout to sink, and then finish them off with the deckgun at close range hitting below the waterline, raking the entire flank side of the ship before she gave off that telltale explosion that either sets a chain reaction of smaller explosions, or she finally heels over and goes down.

Just the breaks you get with the hand you're dealt, is all.

merc4ulfate 06-30-12 05:33 PM

I would play with your depth settings.

I too have seen lighter craft use what would seem to be far to many torpedos only to have others sink in one. The most notable difference was my depth settings. Setting way to shallow put the fish to high on the water line. Like spoken of in an earlier reply if it is set with an efficient damage control group they can take care of it quickly.

If the fish are deeper and closer to the keel when struck or using the magnetic detonators actually under the ship then far more damage and flooding is caused.

SilentOtto 07-05-12 06:00 PM

I am now reading "Silent Victory" (awesome book!) and Clay Blair states clearly that tankers (japanese in this case but should be mostly the same) were really hard to sink IRL, sometimes being able to take in between 4 and 10 (!) torpedos before sinking.

The main reason was, they are already very well divided in compartments which are isolated, have specialized crew and are overall better built. He wrote that they usually sank/were abandoned from uncontrolled fires, but could be really hard to sink with american torps.

My 0.02 eur!