SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=232)
-   -   My first look - pros, cons, and all that (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131846)

M. Sarsfield 02-28-08 01:38 PM

There's already been a mod created for the German voices... see the SH4 mod forum.

I know that I'm picky, but the collar tabs on the officer uniforms are enlisted collar tabs. They need to be bigger. Another obvious one is the BeVo (eagle) is missing from above the right pocket. I understand why they did this, though.

Raptor1 02-28-08 01:40 PM

I think what was bugging me the most in the addon is the fact that your command is still ComSubPac, dunno why... (BdU obviously asked the USN to give their U-Boats patrol zones and contact reports)

The campaign is rather fictional, but not so far fetched, as some U-Boats did operate in the Indian Ocean (U-852 for example), the Monsoon Group was supposed to work in Penang with the IJN

Overall, i'm rather satisfied with the expansion, even if there are some minor problems

CCIP 02-28-08 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor1

The campaign is rather fictional, but not so far fetched, as some U-Boats did operate in the Indian Ocean (U-852 for example), the Monsoon Group was supposed to work in Penang with the IJN

Overall, i'm rather satisfied with the expansion, even if there are some minor problems

I would totally agree with that. Sure the campaign is out there, but it's not unbelievable. It's definitely a "what if" campaign, but less in the what-if territory than, say, IL-2 1946.

AVGWarhawk 02-28-08 01:52 PM

The shots look good CCIP. This could be a very interesting off shoot for the u-boat fans. :up:

CCIP 02-28-08 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
The shots look good CCIP. This could be a very interesting off shoot for the u-boat fans. :up:

Yep, although I should say, in many ways this is a weird choice to draw in U-boat fans as such. There's really little of what defines the U-boat war here, unless your favorite part of the war is the extensive far-east operations that never happened :p

Honestly, I wish people would stop looking at the U-boat fan/Fleet boat fan dimension of it. Cause this one probably appeals more to fleet boat fans wanting to play the other side a little. Otherwise only a small group of Type IX fans will be satisfied by this one when it comes to the U-boat thing. So it's not a bad stunt to draw in the SHIII crowd, but it's not the stuff they (or should I say we?) generally cut their teeth on, either.

AVGWarhawk 02-28-08 02:08 PM

My thoughts were to extend to the Med and work on that type of career. Personally, I will buy it but will concentrate on the Fleet boats. It will be some fun playing the uboat again for a change. I have not played SH3 for quite some time.

tater 02-28-08 02:24 PM

The ports objects are NEW. Finally, something that has piers, etc.

Raptor1 02-28-08 02:45 PM

Oh, BTW, You forgot to mention that the SHIII TDC/Attack Map is back, don't know about you people, but i really missed being able to effectively shoot spreads without having to manually change the settings on each tube...

The General 02-28-08 02:55 PM

Look to the future!

Total historic accuracy (of this Add-on) aside, this new release does pave the way for a full global theatre in the future. I'm suprised that many of you don't seem to realise that.

stabiz 02-28-08 02:55 PM

:rock:

M. Sarsfield 02-28-08 02:58 PM

Quote:

AVGWARHAWK: My thoughts were to extend to the Med and work on that type of career.
If I was a modder I would probably tackle the Med., first, for expanding the SHIV U-Boat campaign. Work out all of the bugs on a small scale and then scale it from there.

badaboom 02-28-08 03:15 PM

Great screen CCIP,Everything looks sharper,the crew looks much more detailed.

AVGWarhawk 02-28-08 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The General
Total historic accuracy (of this Add-on) aside, this new release does pave the way for a full global theatre in the future. I'm suprised that many of you don't seem to realise that.

Total global conflict was discussed long ago concerning the add-on. Specifically when patch 1.4 was coming out. A lot of work but would be very cool.

AVGWarhawk 02-28-08 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
Quote:

AVGWARHAWK: My thoughts were to extend to the Med and work on that type of career.
If I was a modder I would probably tackle the Med., first, for expanding the SHIV U-Boat campaign. Work out all of the bugs on a small scale and then scale it from there.

Yeah, imagine a mission senerio of the uboat (not sure which one) that was attempting to get to Japan loaded with technical info, etc. that did not make it. Make one hard butt mission with your objective to make it. Sounds like fun and if done right could be very challenging. Have your route start in the Med. Make it so you have to follow a specific route (hopefully the historical route of the real uboat). Create some real nasty DD.

badaboom 02-28-08 04:32 PM

I saw a story on this on The History Ch,I think the u-boat was on a top secret mission to deliever rocket or jet engine parts/components to Japan,it was torpedoed by a British sub,to this day the wreck is still giving off extremely high levels of Mercury.