SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   DEck Gun Ammo (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181850)

Johnfb 03-28-11 09:46 AM

DEck Gun Ammo

Hi All

I am in the middle of a patrol and put the crew up on deck in case of aircraft etc and have noticed that the deck gun crew are not loading the gun and that the ammo screen reads 0. When I try to fire the crew tell methey are out of ammo.
I have never shot the gun and in the weapons screen I can see 3 pics of ammo, 1000 shells or so for the flak and 2 screens of AP and something else which I assume is for the deck gun...problem is they wont load it...its on autoload.

Any ideas...or do they have to spot a target before they load

Thanks in advance
john

King_Zog 03-28-11 09:57 AM

Ok, a few pointers that might help.

Sometimes the gun crew will not automatically load a shell for the first shot and you have to do it yourself. Press F11 to man the gun yourself and just click the shell icon on the bottom right of the screen to reload it manually and then you can switch back to the bridge and leave it up to the crew to fire and reload from there.

Also check that your crew have been ordered to 'fire at will' under the deck gun commands (Watch officer), and check the range they have been ordered to fire at.

You can designate a target for them from the bridge by using your binoculars to look at the enemy vessel, centre the view on it and press space. You should see a yellow triangle under the target now, which means your deck crew will hopefully shoot it.

Fish In The Water 03-28-11 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Zog (Post 1629573)
Sometimes the gun crew will not automatically load a shell for the first shot and you have to do it yourself.

Yes, if you're running GWX you have to load the first round manually...

Good shooting! :cool:

Gerald 03-28-11 10:39 AM

Yes, click on the ammo icon so it becomes good, having to manually shoot the first shot is not necessary, use the keyboard for this hit enter and engaged target,watch with binoculars as an example

maillemaker 03-28-11 10:46 AM

You are probably running GWX.

As I recall, GWX removed the stock ammo options for AP, HE, and WP, leaving only the HE.

The side-effect of this is that the first shell won't get auto-loaded - you have to click on the shell icon while manning the gun to load the first shell.

STeve

Johnfb 03-28-11 11:40 AM

Just treid that, and you are all, of course, 100% correct as usual, thanks so much for he help.

Happy hunting
John

:yeah::salute:

Gerald 03-28-11 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnfb (Post 1629665)
Just treid that, and you are all, of course, 100% correct as usual, thanks so much for he help.

Happy hunting
John

Good luck John, :salute:

Fish In The Water 03-28-11 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnfb (Post 1629665)

Happy hunting
John

Put that deck gun to good use and make us all proud! :woot:

Gargamel 03-28-11 06:43 PM

Page 69, GWX Manual.

RTFM.

I really suggest you should anyways. It's a wonderful publication. There's a pretty damn good reason it's 644 pages, and every page is worth reading.

Johnfb 03-29-11 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargamel (Post 1630020)
Page 69, GWX Manual.

RTFM.

I really suggest you should anyways. It's a wonderful publication. There's a pretty damn good reason it's 644 pages, and every page is worth reading.

Thanks Gargamel,
I have been reading the manual, but didn't realise the problem was a GWX one, thought it was me... as usual.
But yes the manual would have been the way forward, but I am doing my best to get through it.
Thanks for your help
John

Johnfb 03-29-11 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish In The Water (Post 1629991)
Put that deck gun to good use and make us all proud! :woot:

Roger :salute:

frau kaleun 03-29-11 09:02 AM

The crew are hardwired by the game to auto-load AP shells first unless they're ordered to use something else. GWX removed the AP ammo from the loadout. That's why they won't auto-load anything until you go to the deck gun station and click on the other type of ammo. From that point on, they'll auto-load what you have. :yep:

Johnfb 03-29-11 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frau kaleun (Post 1630467)
The crew are hardwired by the game to auto-load AP shells first unless they're ordered to use something else. GWX removed the AP ammo from the loadout. That's why they won't auto-load anything until you go to the deck gun station and click on the other type of ammo. From that point on, they'll auto-load what you have. :yep:

Thanks Frau :yeah:

Gerald 03-29-11 09:49 AM

So easy, you will not escape, bake a cheesecake you will get service around the clock by Frau,:O: good luck with your mission John :salute:

Johnfb 03-29-11 09:52 AM

Hi Vendor

Yep. loaded up and fired off 1 round just to see...worked a treat and yes, there was the solution in the manual after I re-checked.

Also had my first encounter with the supply ship today off the Canary Islands...cool game...:yeah::yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendor (Post 1630510)
So easy, you will not escape, bake a cheesecake you will get service around the clock by Frau,:O: good luck with your mission John :salute: