SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   COLD WATERS (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=268)
-   -   Why do noisemakers work on torpedoes with active homing? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236176)

jrolson 01-07-18 05:40 PM

Why do noisemakers work on torpedoes with active homing?

I understand that noisemakers work on torpedoes using passive homing because they make noise but why do they work on active torpedoes also?

I thought active torpedoes used pings for homing.

Falkirion 01-07-18 05:51 PM

Active homing see's the cavitation of a noisemaker as a valid target. Potentially it generates a bigger sonar return (thus bigger target) than your sub does.

Others can explain it better than this. I can visualize it but can't put it into words

C-Wolf 01-07-18 06:14 PM

There are several types of torpedo countermeasures, but for the purposes of this game, (in this era) the noisemakers release a huge cloud of bubbles which attenuates the active pulse of a torpedo seeker head, and will draw the weapon toward it as it presents the highest noise level. Torpedoes switch between passive and active modes until final acquisition.

If own ship make a hard turn at torpedo evasion speed, a "knuckle" is created, which is essentially the same thing, though shorter-lived.

Bottom line, put the weapon in your baffles, go flank speed, pop off a few noisemakers, and make a hard turn when it's close for your best chance of evasion.

CCC

jrolson 01-07-18 06:23 PM

Makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation!

Tinman764 01-08-18 09:51 AM

My evasion usually ends with a line of about 5 noisemakers and the torp stuck in a never ending countermeasure homing loop between them until it burns all its fuel :Kaleun_Cheers:

Steiger 01-08-18 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Wolf (Post 2535403)
If own ship make a hard turn at torpedo evasion speed, a "knuckle" is created

A note on knuckle formation: It's easier and more reliable to make a quick flip with your rudder in one direction, then hard over the other direction. It'll make a knuckle 9/10 times.

Yarddog 01-08-18 08:56 PM

Change depth while the torpedo is in countermeasure avoidance to get out of its seeker cone.. Along with knuckles an noisemakers.

JhonSilver 01-10-18 12:54 PM

it's just a game.

it is almost impossible to escape from the torpedo.

Doppler effect allows to separate stationary sources of sound from moving.
so that the torpedo simply ignores the noise from the noisemaker and passes through the bubbles and then restores contact with the submarine,
and "boom".

In addition, it is obvious that torpedoes are somewhat more maneuverable than submarines

Julhelm 01-10-18 03:51 PM

That's why everyone are working on hard-kill anti-torpedo systems these days.

Tinman764 01-11-18 01:35 PM

Does the Nixie kill torps?

I know it's a surface ship system, just wondering if it's viable for subs too.

C-Wolf 01-11-18 06:51 PM

No.

It "seduces" active and passive torpedo sensors by presenting a better target profile. It does not "kill" the incoming weapon, but tries to draw it away from own ship.

US submarines have a variety of torpedo countermeasures and don't need to drag more things behind them. Even a torpedo wire caught in the screw can impact its acoustic performance.

CCC

Capt.Hunt 01-11-18 10:17 PM

Not to mention that a torpedo detonating near said Nixie would likely damage the towed array cable, if it doesn't overload the transducers themselves.