SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter 5 (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   Funnels....Measure to Funnels with stadimeter (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=163274)

Mav87th 03-05-10 02:05 AM

Funnels....Measure to Funnels with stadimeter

Hi All

I did a Collimation test last night on a Dido Light Cruiser.

(ie. made a mission with one Dido anchord 1000 meter from my sub so i could check the ootics of the scope)

The optics turned out to be correct. Dido, with a leanth of 156 meters, filling the scope picture in high power from side to side. High Power scope has a 9° Field of View, and on 1000 meters that should cover 156 meters from left to right - so far so good.

Then i tested the stadimeter range for the Dido. Only when i did the stadimeter ranging measuring on the top of the funnels did the range ring out on 1000 meters.

I have to try this with other ships, but its 100% that with the Dido Light Cruiser you have to measure from the top of the funnel.

EDIT:

New tests

Ranger Tanker - Funnel

Lognoreng 03-05-10 06:49 AM

I did suspect that, since all my range calcs were too close, i started using the funnels, and got better range readings. This was on random merchants during missions.. It was off with 500m+ most the time when using the masts as reference. Funny theres no info on this anywhere. Might be because they assume everyone use auto targetting. Great to get this confirmed tho

Decoman 03-05-10 06:57 AM

I wonder, would any camera mod possibly interfere with the functionality of the stadimeter?

DarkFish 03-05-10 07:34 AM

personally I think measuring from the funnel is much better as the funnel is easier to see. When doing long range attacks in SH4 it was almost impossible to accurately measure the mast height as the lack of anti-aliasing made the mast partially disappear at long ranges.

If I understand correctly SH5 has got AA support so that'll be less of a problem but still the funnel is easier to spot.

Mav87th 03-05-10 09:17 AM

Decoman - from my mod experiences with Optics and stadimeter from SH-4 the stadimeter is not effected. I suspect SH-5 to be the same.

Bilge_Rat 03-05-10 09:33 AM

good work,

I had done a test on a freighter a few days ago and had come to the same conclusion, best range measured from top of funnel.

Ddgrn is using the bidge deck, but I noticed that the bridge deck and funnel are often at the same height.

ParaB 03-05-10 09:43 AM

I did some testing too and measuring up to the top of the funnels indeed worked better on most ships. Problem is for some it didn't. IMO the ships databases need to be reworked to get 'even' reference points for all ships.

Lognoreng 03-05-10 10:53 AM

Totally agree that the funnels are better. On long ranges, and under poor light conditions its hard to see where the masts end. Same in sh4 as you were locked to 4X AA.

Mav87th 03-05-10 12:01 PM

The stadimeter in SH-4 was awesome. You could set the desired amount of ft. to stadimeter for (like choosing the funnel, or the top of the higest bridge or the top of the mast - what ever one had measure ments for in the ONI-208-J)

gutted 03-05-10 12:18 PM

Can't recall which merchant it was, but it was not the funnel for that one. It was at those horizontal struts on the mast.

Bilge_Rat 03-08-10 11:43 AM

So do we have a definite answer yet on how to use the stadimeter properly?

Do you measure to top of funnel, bridge decks, masts?

I searched this forum and the Ubi forum, but there seems to be very little discussion of this issue.

Is there a bug or do we just not know how to use it properly? If someone has the answer, please share it.

gimpy117 03-08-10 01:18 PM

no wonder i was missing all the time! thank you!

JamesT73J 03-08-10 01:21 PM

Is it possible that the stadimeter is using a constant for height? I.e. the recog manual is having no effect. It would explain the inconsistencies. I need to do some tests

karamazovnew 03-08-10 02:44 PM

Since you can't lock (physically) on ships anymore, you need to place your periscope just a bit ahead of the ship, set up your stadimeter and then quickly click to enter the range and click BACK fast when the funnel rests under the center line. If you don't do that, all your automatic speed calculations will be off. In other words, you need to send the consecutive bearing/range readings of the SAME SPOT on a ship or you'll miss.

gimpy117 03-08-10 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karamazovnew (Post 1302450)
In other words, you need to send the consecutive bearing/range readings of the SAME SPOT on a ship or you'll miss.

:down: needs to be fixed