SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Vandals rob and sink WW2 Era Submarine (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=238350)

August 08-16-18 07:11 PM

Vandals rob and sink WW2 Era Submarine

:damn:
https://newstalk1130.iheart.com/cont...yid=socialflow

Quote:

Police in New Jersey are searching for the culprits who sunk a World War II-era submarine that was docked in the Hackensack River. Navy veteran Jack Brown, who serves as a trustee on the Submarine Memorial Association, noticed something didn't look right when he went to visit the New Jersey Naval Museum over the weekend.
"I noticed the boat looked very low in the water," Brown said. "[Vandals] cut through with bolt cutters, I guess, got in and opened all the hatches. The equipment and artifacts inside are ruined."

Buddahaid 08-16-18 07:18 PM

Wonderful.....

Let's hope they are caught and keel hauled.

Commander Wallace 08-16-18 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddahaid (Post 2565299)
Wonderful.....

Let's hope they are caught and keel hauled.

That would be way too good for these morons that did this.

fireftr18 08-16-18 08:34 PM

Give them community service. Specifically doing all the work restoring what can be restored.

Kapt Z 08-16-18 09:34 PM

It is such a shame. I resigned myself quite a while ago that LING herself was probably doomed, but hoped at least maybe someone could salvage items from her interior which was in great shape last time I was there(20+ years ago) and send them to other submarine museums.

After this? :nope:

HunterICX 08-17-18 04:32 AM

No respect, no respect at all :nope:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireftr18 (Post 2565306)
Give them community service. Specifically doing all the work restoring what can be restored.

I wouldn't want them to be near the sub again, I'd say have them pay the bill for the damages they caused.

Jimbuna 08-17-18 04:37 AM

Absolutely senseless :nope:

Aoogahman 08-17-18 08:50 AM

I took a stroll through the Ling about 17 years ago and took a bunch of photos. She was in pretty good shape at that time. It's very disturbing when people pull that kind of crap!

Mike Abberton 08-17-18 09:00 AM

Sorry if this violates any forum rules, but...

What a bunch of a-holes.

Platapus 08-17-18 11:45 AM

I do not understand the crime of vandalism.

What sort of person garners a personal benefit by just destroying stuff?

That takes a disturbing mindset

l02turner 09-24-18 03:29 PM

WW2 Sub Sunk by Vandals

While I agree keel hauling is too good for them (it really is a nasty form of punishment) and I wouldn't want them near the boat again either unless it was on the exterior chipping old paint on a hot summer day, and the suggestion about making them pay for damages is also good as long as their parents money isn't involved is also good.

I wish there was a way to make them understand what they were destroying, but I suspect that only happens in the movies.

I think the physical punishment is what endures. For all we know, these kids (if it was kids) may come from money and a fine or damages means little to them.

I'd like to see the physical punishment (hard work) to far exceed the value of what was damaged. I suspect most of what was damaged is impossible to place a value on. Maybe make them perform maintenance on the boat for the rest of their lives?

August 09-24-18 03:35 PM

As I understand it this was more than just vandalism. I read somewhere that the sinking may have been to cover the theft of 4 valuable bronze plaques.

Gargamel 09-24-18 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Abberton (Post 2565363)
Sorry if this violates any forum rules, but...

What a bunch of a-holes.

Given the offense, and what SubSim is about, I'm guessing the mods might be a bit lenient on the rules in this thread....

STEED 09-25-18 05:29 AM

Bring back the stocks I say.

A disgraceful act.

em2nought 09-25-18 07:49 AM

Somebody should get Paul Allen involved. He doesn't even have to search for the Ling. Surely he has the funds and interest to move it to someplace that it would be wanted?