SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Silent Hunter III (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   SH3 installation is driving me crazy (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=239566)

christianos 01-04-19 02:39 PM

SH3 installation is driving me crazy

Hello sailers!

After a 5 year break, and a lost love affaire with SH5, i bought yesterday SH3 again on Steam. Installed GWX and what a warm welcome. This is for me the best uboat game!

I can play SH3 normal (after the resolutionfix), but every time i restart my pc, the Sh3.exe will stop working. I can click on it, but nothing. No error, nothing. I tried searching the forums, and i found only one thread on it. The solution there, renaming te file, doesn't work for me.

Help. Any suggestions?

Rig:
Windows 10
AMD Athlon x4 760k
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 ti (latest drivers, offcourse)

Thnx!!

Edit: wow, i see that i started this account in 2006. Thats a long way back. And a long way of playing subgames :-D

doksas 01-04-19 05:49 PM

Hmmmm, try to run as administrator and try run in compatibility mode for
win 7 .

THEBERBSTER 01-04-19 08:07 PM

A Warm Welcome Back To The Subsim Community > christianos
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below

Check this out:
Post #70 Problem Solving Check List

propbeanie 01-05-19 09:24 AM

... and - for my computer with a Steam SH3 in Windows 7 64-bit? After applying mods, I ~have~ to start it through the Steam app on my computer. I've made copies of the Steam SHIII install for other mods, renamed them, and added them into the Steam start (and renamed their shortcuts), but I have to start the Steam app, log-in (close the ads), and [Play] from the Library menu. If I start from the desktop shortcut I previously made, or by using the SH3.exe directly, I see the screen flicker once or twice, but the game never starts. After you do all of THEBERBSTER's suggestions, if it still doesn't start from the executable or a short-cut, see if starting it through the Steam app works. :salute:

christianos 01-05-19 01:40 PM

Thnx for all the tips! I will use them all

Quote:

Originally Posted by propbeanie (Post 2584945)
... and - for my computer with a Steam SH3 in Windows 7 64-bit? After applying mods, I ~have~ to start it through the Steam app on my computer. I've made copies of the Steam SHIII install for other mods, renamed them, and added them into the Steam start (and renamed their shortcuts), but I have to start the Steam app, log-in (close the ads), and [Play] from the Library menu. If I start from the desktop shortcut I previously made, or by using the SH3.exe directly, I see the screen flicker once or twice, but the game never starts. After you do all of THEBERBSTER's suggestions, if it still doesn't start from the executable or a short-cut, see if starting it through the Steam app works. :salute:

But, this was the solution. Stupidly simple. I have to start the game from my Steam account. Thnx!!!

:salute:

propbeanie 01-05-19 02:11 PM

Steam wants to check the license is all. I can start my LSH through SH3 Commander though, so I don't know exactly how that all works... :salute:

Blackswan1940 03-14-19 08:26 AM

@christianos!

You got mail.