SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Pirates & Sailing Ships (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=180)
-   -   Pirates of the Burning Sea Release Date: "For Real" (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123105)

Onkel Neal 10-06-07 10:12 AM

Pirates of the Burning Sea Release Date: "For Real"

Pirates of the Burning Sea Release Date: "For Real"

Things have picked up quite a bit. Arrgh! :arrgh!:

NefariousKoel 10-26-07 01:22 AM

You gonna do your own review of it Neal?

I'm keeping an eye on it and could go either way. I'll wait until some of the subsimmers here give up some initial impressions.

Chock 10-26-07 01:46 AM

I signed up for the request to be on the beta for this absolutely ages ago, but I'm a bit too busy to accept it now they've offered me the chance. Even so, I'm certainly interested in it all the same and will be keeping an eye on it, it looks like it might be fun.

:D Chock

NiclDoe 10-26-07 05:20 AM

This game has got to be good after waiting for ages.

Onkel Neal 10-26-07 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NefariousKoel
You gonna do your own review of it Neal?

I'm keeping an eye on it and could go either way. I'll wait until some of the subsimmers here give up some initial impressions.

Yes, I am. I'm hoping it's a good title, we need a good online pirate game!

NefariousKoel 10-27-07 12:12 AM

I can see the 'guild' name already:

Onkel Neal's Plunderin' Poopswabbers.:lol:

tater 10-29-07 10:52 PM

I had high hopes, but the addition of magical sailing into the wind just sucked all the interest out of me. That and no penalties at all for being killed/sunk.

tater

Iceman 10-30-07 03:39 PM

Beta testing it now and use my other alias so I guess I can tell....not that I will be playing it anyways...it is like Voyage Century so far very disappointing. :(...if you want an idea of the game metrics play Voyage Century for free and you'll have a feel for it...it has some eye candy but I'll save you the 40 or bucks whatever and save you the disappointment....its pretty weak.

I hear see the same echo from the beta testers boards....sorry to burst the bubble...keep playing SH4 :) dat game is doing pretty dang good for small mp groups...been playing it on ubi servers and have no problems hosting or playing. :up:

But yea...pretty disappointing. imo potbs:down:

NefariousKoel 10-31-07 11:30 PM

Aww well...

I just ordered Hellgate:London for an action RPG fix so that'll probably keep me busy for a bit.

Voyage Century isn't bad - because it's free. Paying for something like it, though, is a different matter.

Reaves 11-12-07 01:11 AM

I was once very interested in PotBS but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the game I thought it was originally going to be.

tater 11-26-07 03:36 PM

Ditto. I was longing for a realistic age of sail game that could accurately represent small actions, particularly ship vs ship, cutting out, etc.

Oh well.

Laffertytig 12-05-07 05:52 PM

is it really as bad as lots of people are sayin? ive been watchin the game grow for a good long while and it did look awesome. have they made it arcady?

tater 12-06-07 01:30 AM

It's in open beta right now, you can always try and report. I haven't bothered since it was clear they nerfed sailing ages ago.

NefariousKoel 12-22-07 04:11 PM

I'm gonna give it a shot. While it might not be an age of sail sim, it could still be quite fun.

Onkel Neal 12-23-07 12:14 PM

I've been testing it a few weeks, and so far, I'm keeping an open mind. The sailing model isn't 100% realistic but I can see where an MMO would use "shortcuts" to allow for playable game action. Also, I know a game like this can be improved as they go, so that's so not an issue. I put a lot more emphasis on balance, compelling gameplay and social network items, random world encounters, fast login time, and most importantly--strong anti-cheat measures. I hope to have a review of the retail version in a couple weeks.

Neal