SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   SHIII Mods Workshop (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   [WIP] New flare effect (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229782)

Kendras 02-19-17 05:47 AM

New flare effect

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niume (Post 2451602)
Omg Kendras you are creating so much mods which its awesome.Could you create a mod when allied ship sinks the crew shoots a red flare what would light up sea. Or when destroyers shoot shellstar it would light up sea better

So, I just thought about something this morning, and here is the result :

:Kaleun_Los:

If I fire another shell in the same time, the game reaches its max number of particles ... and crashes. Too many lights in my eyes !

:k_confused:

propbeanie 02-19-17 12:09 PM

So you've found the game engine's limit then, you think?... :lol:

Niume 02-19-17 02:25 PM

Wait I am confused are these two pictures from Sh3 or just random google pic.

Kendras 02-19-17 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niume (Post 2467324)
Wait I am confused are these two pictures from Sh3 or just random google pic.

from my SH3 ! :)

Kendras 02-19-17 04:45 PM

Here with other parameters :

iambecomelife 02-20-17 04:58 PM

Wow - you are an absolute magician with the particles! Great work! One workaround for the game crashing could be to do a sequence of screenshots of a flare launch, etc from a video on youtube and then use the pictures as frames in a sequential, multi-frame particle effect with alpha channel...

nik112 02-21-17 07:43 AM

Hi pal
what about lighthouses and buoys. Are they finished?

cheers

Kendras 02-21-17 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2467699)
Wow - you are an absolute magician with the particles! Great work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2467699)
One workaround for the game crashing could be to do a sequence of screenshots of a flare launch, etc from a video on youtube and then use the pictures as frames in a sequential, multi-frame particle effect with alpha channel...

Yes, I thought about that, but I don't know how to do yet. It could be useful for me because one day, I plan to create an aurora borealis effect. But this would also require an input in sh3.exe and I'm not sure if any codder wants to help me.

My next goal about particles is to improve the smoke effect when shells are fired from battleships. :)

Kendras 02-21-17 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik112 (Post 2467816)
what about lighthouses and buoys. Are they finished?

buoys : yes
lighthouses : no

See the specific threads please.

iambecomelife 02-21-17 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2467858)

Yes, I thought about that, but I don't know how to do yet. It could be useful for me because one day, I plan to create an aurora borealis effect. But this would also require an input in sh3.exe and I'm not sure if any codder wants to help me.

My next goal about particles is to improve the smoke effect when shells are fired from battleships. :)

Actually no coding is required. You can do sequential tga files in SH3/4/5. At work right now but I will show you later.

Kendras 02-21-17 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2467875)
Actually no coding is required.

I mean code to spawn the effect randomly in clear skies, and at a certain time of the year, at a certain sun angle and at a certain latitude. :03:

mikey117us 02-21-17 11:47 PM

Check if you can make the smoke ring from big guns after they fire. and maybe also like in IL2 Sturmovic 1946 super thalium effects mod , they were able to make impact shock waves from detonations/explosions!

Kendras 02-23-17 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey117us (Post 2467992)
Check if you can make the smoke ring from big guns after they fire. and maybe also like in IL2 Sturmovic 1946 super thalium effects mod , they were able to make impact shock waves from detonations/explosions!

Do you have any pictures about what you mean ?

iambecomelife 02-23-17 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kendras (Post 2467921)
I mean code to spawn the effect randomly in clear skies, and at a certain time of the year, at a certain sun angle and at a certain latitude. :03:

My mistake, I see what you mean.

Too bad about Northern Lights! That would be quite the immersion adder.

Carry on with your particle experimentation; that is literally one of the best modded effects for SH3 I've seen. It reminds me of "Titanic" when the officers started launching the distress rockets. :up:

Kendras 02-24-17 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambecomelife (Post 2468386)
Carry on with your particle experimentation; that is literally one of the best modded effects for SH3 I've seen. It reminds me of "Titanic" when the officers started launching the distress rockets. :up:

Yes, I could create a new and real starshell flare effect.