SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   UK Politics Thread (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220113)

Herr-Berbunch 03-26-12 09:12 AM

The impression I get of Finns around here are they're usually too drunk to drive anywhere. :O:

BossMark - I'm of the blue persuasion and I'm ordering you to drink a pint of best, and eat a packet of salt and vinegar and a pickled egg. :yep:

kranz 03-26-12 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr (Post 1860870)
:o That is very cheap by European standards. Here in Finland one litre of gasoline costs around US$2.25 - US$2.50

such comparisons are kinda worthless.
In Egypt 1 litre costs around 0,25 Euro. So maybe let's all go there, including the author of this qq thread.
Let's better check how many hours does one have to work to buy a full tank of gas (let's say 55 l.)
Average salary in Poland: 3 Euro/h.
Average gas price: 1,5 Euro/l.
The result: 27 hours.

In Germany it's something like 10. Dunno about GB. Probably even less than 10.

jumpy 03-26-12 10:48 AM

For the highest price of diesel in the UK (153.9ppl), to fill up my 89L tank with minimum wage earnings would take the following sum -
89L x 153.9p
= £136.97.1

136.97 / 6.08 PH
= 22.52 hours / 8
= 2.8 days

None of these figures (except the price of a litre of diesel) take into account Tax or National Insurance contributions.
So it costs about 3 days to afford to pay for a tank of diesel. Call it 4.5 when taking taxation of earnings into it to give a bit of leeway..

Just think, how many times a months do you brim your tank to travel to work and back? Once, twice.... more?

:o

kraznyi_oktjabr 03-26-12 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece (Post 1860915)
:o Good grief!! imagine if you had to travel over 100ks per day to get to work!:dead:

In my dad's case it depends on departure depot (he is bus driver). When shift starts in local depot daily commute is just 50 km. When it starts in second depot daily commute is 200 km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kranz (Post 1861057)
such comparisons are kinda worthless.
In Egypt 1 litre costs around 0,25 Euro. So maybe let's all go there, including the author of this qq thread.
Let's better check how many hours does one have to work to buy a full tank of gas (let's say 55 l.)
Average salary in Poland: 3 Euro/h.
Average gas price: 1,5 Euro/l.
The result: 27 hours.

In Germany it's something like 10. Dunno about GB. Probably even less than 10.

Same calculation here in Finland:
Average salary (from 2010): 14,59 Euro/h
Yesterday's average price for diesel: 1,577 Euro/L
Cost to fill tank (using your tank size): 55*1,577=86,735 -> 86,74 €

Because that info is outdated I add 50 cents to it in effort compensate (will update this if I find uptodate data): 15,09 €. So with this (assumed) figure it would take 5,7 hours worth of work to refill tank. This is based on average male citizen's wage which is higher than female wage.

Btw, its very cold day in hell when my dad earns that average. :shifty: Also, unless company has changed it's policy it doesn't pay for waiting time. So for example if dad takes customers from place A to place B he gets paid only from drive time and time when serving customers. In extreme case that means that he may get four hour worth of pay from 12 hour work day. (I hope old CEO took that policy to his grave)

Jimbuna 03-26-12 03:21 PM

In the UK it would take a minimum wage earner .23 hours work to pay for a litre of petrol costing 1.42p

Multiply the above by 4.54 and it would take the same person 1.04 hours to be able to purchase a gallon.

BossMark 03-27-12 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch (Post 1861027)
BossMark - I'm of the blue persuasion and I'm ordering you to drink a pint of best, and eat a packet of salt and vinegar and a pickled egg. :yep:

OK no problem, well apart from the pickled egg

Tribesman 03-27-12 06:53 AM

Quote:

OK no problem, well apart from the pickled egg
I thought the problem was the Taytos, pickled eggs go with salted not salt & vinegar.;)

Sailor Steve 03-27-12 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbuna (Post 1861161)
In the UK it would take a minimum wage earner .23 hours work to pay for a litre of petrol costing 1.42p

Multiply the above by 4.54 and it would take the same person 1.04 hours to be able to purchase a gallon.

Here in Utah a miminum wage worker can buy about 2-1/5 gallons for one hours work. Of course that means it takes a full day's work to fill up the tank for a week.

Oberon 03-28-12 11:32 AM

http://wish.co.uk/number-10/

:har::har::har::har::yeah:

Tribesman 03-28-12 02:44 PM

Quote:

But would his hours for a tankful of petrol be wasted now as there is suddenly supply problems as some idiots in your government have started a panic over fuel stocks in regards to some possible future strike which if it ever goes ahead will still be at least 8 days away?

Nice to see the firebrigade chipping in telling people to ignore the politicians advice on stockpiling petrol at home as he was being very stupid.

Oberon 03-28-12 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribesman (Post 1862134)
But would his hours for a tankful of petrol be wasted now as there is suddenly supply problems as some idiots in your government have started a panic over fuel stocks in regards to some possible future strike which if it ever goes ahead will still be at least 8 days away?

Nice to see the firebrigade chipping in telling people to ignore the politicians advice on stockpiling petrol at home as he was being very stupid.

Aye, bloody idiots in government... :damn: IIRC last time we had a tanker strike the Tories were egging them on, not so fun now they're in charge, eh? :haha:

You have to laugh, if you didn't, you'd cry. :nope:

Torplexed 03-28-12 08:20 PM

They're gonna tax wholesome and delicious Cornish pasty now!? To the Barricades!! :damn: Wait. I'm not British.

Quote:

LONDON — The British government’s intention to tax the humble Cornish pasty, a regional savory snack much beloved by workers and students, has opened a new front in the country’s never-ending class war.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...PgS_story.html

Jimbuna 03-29-12 04:39 AM

Well, to be totally honest....anyone heeding a politicians advice probably deserves whatever they get as a consequence.

I was talking to David Miliband (the former Foreign Secretary) the other day and I was amazed at the transformation in viewpoint/opinion he has now.

Tribesman 03-29-12 05:53 AM

Quote:

They're gonna tax wholesome and delicious Cornish pasty now!?
They can't, the shop where Dave thought he bought one shut down two years ago.:03:
He may however have thought of buying one down near his cornish haunt, but that is just full of overpriced celebrity chefs now catering for all the trustafarians who ruin the breaks at rock and polzeath.

Oberon 03-29-12 11:58 AM

And so the panic buying of petrol begins! :damn:

Lemmings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17553696