SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM Radio Room Forums (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/index.php)
-   Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=186)
-   -   Why was the Austro-Hungarian Uboat fleet scrapped? (https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236125)

komi 01-02-18 09:04 AM

Why was the Austro-Hungarian Uboat fleet scrapped?

Looking through a list of surviving Austro-Hungarian Uboats at the time of the 1918 armistice it seems like they were all subsequently scrapped. I was just wondering why some of them weren't put on the international market as a potential cash source for whatever victorious Allied powers they were surrendered to, or handed over to a smaller ally of one of those powers?

From my sources I see there were a couple nations buying other peoples WW1-service subs around that era (e.g. Spain purchasing the Italian F22, F23, and F24 subs). Anybody know the reason behind the decision to scrap all surviving Austro-Hungarian Uboats?

Catfish 01-02-18 11:05 AM

Austria lost all his mediterranean coastlines, along with Hungary, with the treaty of Versailles, and the boats were surrendered to Italy, and France.

There may be several reasons why they were not sold.
A strong one may be the resentment towards the enemy, so like with the german U-boats in "Operation deathlight" after WW2 where they examined and then sank and destroyed them, rather than putting them to use, or sell them. Some of the technical development was still secret and advanced for the time, so to whom should they be sold without giving others a key for modern technology.
Also this outlandish machinery with different system of units and all that. They would have been difficult to maintain without trained personnell and the original tools. I guess it was easier to use the ideas and build their own new boats around them, and then scrap the old ones with their secrets.
Another possibility is that the austro-hungarian boats were technologically obsolete, already in 1914. They had already also used german U-boat designs at the time, if with changes and adaptions. http://www.wikiwand.com/en/U-27-clas...ustria-Hungary)

I admit i have not enough knowledge about the austro-hungarian fleet though, especially not when it comes to post-1918. Afaik most of the fleet was based in Trieste, and Pola, and i also have no idea where all those surface units were surrendered to. :hmmm:

komi 01-02-18 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2534499)
A strong one may be the resentment towards the enemy, so like with the german U-boats in "Operation deathlight" after WW2 where they examined and then sank and destroyed them, rather than putting them to use, or sell them.

I thought that was to keep the technology out of Soviet hands (like the US did with captured Japanese subs). But I could be completely wrong...

Quote:

Also this outlandish machinery with different system of units and all that. They would have been difficult to maintain without trained personnell and the original tools.

Hm, but the Dutch were able to put UC-8 into service...

Quote:

Another possibility is that the austro-hungarian boats were technologically obsolete, already in 1914. They had already also used german U-boat designs at the time, if with changes and adaptions.

I would have thought there still could have been less-advanced countries or those with smaller fleets who could have been dumped with some of those subs? Maybe a country like Spain in 1917-18 could have been interested in some captured Uboats if the price was right? F22 and F23 that they purchased were laid down in 1915 and commissioned in 1917, the same years as some of the surviving Austro-Hungarian subs (e.g. U-21).

Quote:

I admit i have not enough knowledge about the austro-hungarian fleet though, especially not when it comes to post-1918. Afaik most of the fleet was based in Trieste, and Pola, and i also have no idea where all those surface units were surrendered to. :hmmm:

Would be curious to find out...

em2nought 01-02-18 12:24 PM

You seem to have a preconceived notion that governments have the best interests of taxpayers at heart. :03:

komi 01-02-18 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by em2nought (Post 2534513)
You seem to have a preconceived notion that governments have the best interests of taxpayers at heart. :03:

How naive of me... :doh:

Jimbuna 01-02-18 01:27 PM

Quote:

https://www.quora.com/What-happened-...er-world-war-1

Catfish 01-02-18 01:39 PM

^ thanks, had sought myself but .. good link :salute:

p.s. and it was op. deadlight, not wit th.. sorry :oops:

Jimbuna 01-02-18 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2534523)

p.s. and it was op. deadlight, not wit th.. sorry :oops:

I read that post and never even noticed :)

:oops:

Eichhörnchen 01-05-18 11:55 AM

And whatever happened to the Austro-Hungarian space programme?

Catfish 01-05-18 01:58 PM

^ They surrendered it to England?

Jimbuna 01-05-18 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2535048)
^ They surrendered it to England?

Who passed it on to the EU :)

komi 01-06-18 10:24 AM

Either I've no sense of humor or this is some inside joke I'm missing... :-?

Catfish 01-06-18 11:42 AM

I just tried to react to Eichhoernchen :hmmm:

@Jim: :haha: Not really.
Well the EU has ESA, does the UK plan to remain a member as a non-european? :hmmm:

Eichhörnchen 01-06-18 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komi (Post 2535181)
Either I've no sense of humor or this is some inside joke I'm missing... :-?

Sorry, shipmate... just me being an idiot

Jimbuna 01-06-18 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catfish (Post 2535197)
I just tried to react to Eichhoernchen :hmmm:

@Jim: :haha: Not really.
Well the EU has ESA, does the UK plan to remain a member as a non-european? :hmmm:

The UK would like to maintain strong ties with the EU on military and security grounds.